Making a Pancake Care Sheet

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
Pancake Tortoises Malacochersus tornieri

History: Pancake tortoises are found along the eastern side of Africa, their range starts from Kenya and goes all the way down to Southern Africa.

Natural Environment: They make their homes in rock crevices known as kopjes along rocky hill sides. The plants found in their range include low growing bushes, scrubby plants, grasses, and sparse to more dense trees as you move down their range towards Southern Africa. Soil is loose to gravely depending on range location.

Adult Care

Ratio of adult tortoises should always be 1 male to 2 females.

Lighting: Full spectrum sunlight can easily be achieved by using a Mercury Vapor Bulb, Watt numbers will be different by the brand, but 125W or close to it is great. Bulb should be at least a 2Ft or 61cm from the substrate surface with a basking spot of 108F or 42C. Trips outside if you do not have a outdoor enclosure are fine as well, just monitor your tortoises closely.

Temperature: Ambient temperature should go from the high of the basking spot to a low of 74F or 23C, it can be cooler in the hides. You just want to avoid ambient temperatures from falling below 64F or 17C, this can cause health problems.

Humidity: Adults require no humidity.

Substrate: A mix of soil, peat moss and sand works great for them. Substrate should be loose enough for digging into. I cover majority of the substrate with uneven slate stone with one area being left open for females to bury eggs in. The stone I make really uneven, this is a species that is great at climbing and needs to have their muscles exercised properly to help prevent weak leg muscles and walking on their feet incorrectly from weak leg muscles. This also provides some enrichment as well by mimicking their natural environment. I make my enclosure bioactive by keeping pill bugs in there, with that I do not have to do substrate change outs at all, just spot cleaning.

Hides: You should always have 2 hides per tortoises. This is a species that lives in rocky crags. Building tiered hides with slate stone is quite easy and the multiple levels provide multiple hides.

Feeding: A water bowl that an adult can easily soak in should always be provided and kept far enough away from the food bowl to help lower instances of them defecating in the water bowl. This species loves to soak and poop in their water, be prepared for multiple times a day cleaning of their water bowl. Feeding should be done every day. Feed mixed spring greens and about once to twice a week feed them a mix of Mazuri tortoise food and Zoomed Grassland mix. With treats being about once or twice a month. Wild caught species might “hibernate” during the winter months. This is not a true hibernation, they just slow down on food consumption and prefer grasses to greens during this time, remember in Africa this is the dry season and grasses are more predominant and the weather does get cooler. Do not be surprised if they go a month without eating during the winter time, this might naturally faze out of them or not, but still provide food each day during this time. Dust food about once a week with calcium powder, offer up properly sanitized egg shells for them to munch on when they want as another source of calcium. Tortoises are more likely to eat egg shells than a cuttlefish bone, since they encounter egg shells in the wild.

Outdoor Enclosure: Enclosure should be large and deep enough that multiple rocky hides can be build. If birds of prey are not an issue you can have an open top enclosure, if they are a screentop using hardwire clothe, as shown in my images, can be used. Painting blue is optional, especially if you live in the south, helps keep the Carpenter bees away.

Breeding: Females should lay in the soil spot provided to by you, mine like to lay their eggs underneath stones by their soil spot.Eggs should be removed soon after laying. Place them facing the same way up as you found them dug in the soil, if they were laid vertical like some of mine have been, do not worry, a few hours after laying the eggs can be moved around without causing harm, but you still want to minimize jostling the eggs. You can place them on the soil they were laid in or vermiculite, or whatever you prefer to hatch eggs on. Pancakes are Temperature Sex Dependent. Females hatch at 87F or 30C to 92F or 33C Males hatch from 84F or 28C to 77F or 25C. 85F or 29C to 86F or 30C produces a mixed batch. They have not humidity requirements, some people have success hatching at 80% humidity to 0% humidity. I do 0% and have had great success. They can incubate anywhere from 90 days to 280 days, just keep waiting until the flies carry the eggs away, you never know with them if they are fertile or not. Just wait and hope for the best. As soon as the babies hatch, place them in a separate container with a moist paper towel for a full 24Hrs to help allow the yolk to fully absorb and the shell to flatten out.

Hatchling and Juvenile Care

Lighting: Hatchlings and Juveniles require the same full spectrum sunlight as the adults, but for hatchling you want a distance of 2f or 61cm from your substrate surface. And just like the adults, trips outside benefit them as well.

Humidity: Like all baby tortoises, hatchling to juvenile pancakes need humidity to help promote healthy shell growth. During the day the ambient humidity for my baby pancake tortoises gets to about 50%-60% and at night it rises to about 80%. Juveniles can stay at the same humidity levels until they are about 4-5 inches or 10-12cm then you can start lowering your levels. Keeping them at that humidity range during their quick growing periods will help promote smooth shell growth. Moss is also great at keeping humidity up, I place the moss around the enclosure and in the hides.

Temperature: Hatchlings can handle the same ambient temperatures as their adult counterparts. At night though I do try to keep it from falling below 68F or 20C, this is to prevent respiratory infections from occurring by too low of a temperature and too high of a humidity.

Substrate: A mix of topsoil, peat moss and a little bit of sand is ideal for the babies, this helps retain moisture quite well. I like to cover my majority if not all of my soil though with slate stone, and to make it slightly uneven, so they have to climb over things to get around. Making them climb will help prevent weak leg muscles or walking on the feet wrong. They also do not need to come into contact with the soil all that much since this species prefers to hide in rock crevices rather than dig themselves into the soil. The stone layer also helps slow down evaporation and keeps humidity in for longer. If you have a bioactive enclosure (ie pill bugs and other insects that eat detritus and clean up left over food), than soil changes really only need to happen every 8 months. If you do not have a bioactive enclosure then about 5 months will be good if you maintain spot cleaning of wasted food and poop.

Hides: Hatchlings tortoises need plenty of hides to feel comfortable. They are also great climbers like the adults. So for my hatchling I provide them with a layered slate stone hide for them to climb on and in. This promotes healthy muscle development and wears down their nails to prevent overgrowing. It also comes close to mimicking their natural habitat in the wild. I tend to make it two to three tier for their hides. The bottom one I make large enough that they babies can fit two in next to each other and stack at least another baby on top of them.

Feeding: Water bowls deep enough for a hatchling or juvenile to soak in. Feeding is the exact same as the adults.

Outdoor enclosure: For hatchlings I am incredibly reluctant to leave them outside and that is because I cannot adequately maintain my humidity levels for their shell growth, and there comes the risk of being exposed to other things that can cause harm to them, such as ants. Juveniles are fine to be taken out during the day and brought back in for the night. Enclosure setup should be the same as for the adults.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Thank you for making this. I'm looking for a Pancake tortoise to add to my herd so this will be very helpful.

Careym13

5 Year Member
Northern Virginia
Are there any things on the care sheet you would like to see added or confused about?
I think it is great and very informative. The only thing I'd like more info on is the diet? Like the different types of weeds and/or store bought greens that are recommended?

Toons1978

10 Year Member!
NW Phoenix, Arizona
With so little published information on pancakes any written-out info like this is helpful. I am amazed that despite how long these short stacks have been a part of the pet trade, there are no TFH or AVS style books on them. I keep looking on Amazon and Eco pubs hoping someone will put one out there. Until then, the efforts of people to this site are a great substitute. I know zero about "getting published;" have you ever thought about expanding your care sheet, adding some photos, and trying to make an actual book?

leigti

5 Year Member
southeast Washington
I am so glad that you were doing this care sheet. When I was doing research to take care of pancake tortoises I was very frustrated. It seemed like nobody really was sure what they were doing, some people had success and some people didn't. Thank you for making it easier for people to get the right information.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
With so little published information on pancakes any written-out info like this is helpful. I am amazed that despite how long these short stacks have been a part of the pet trade, there are no TFH or AVS style books on them. I keep looking on Amazon and Eco pubs hoping someone will put one out there. Until then, the efforts of people to this site are a great substitute. I know zero about "getting published;" have you ever thought about expanding your care sheet, adding some photos, and trying to make an actual book?
It is amazing how little the info that is on them. I will be adding pictures to this care sheet when I get a final version and I'll publish it on a few sites, just want more feedback on it is all.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
I am so glad that you were doing this care sheet. When I was doing research to take care of pancake tortoises I was very frustrated. It seemed like nobody really was sure what they were doing, some people had success and some people didn't. Thank you for making it easier for people to get the right information.
I guess I got lucky and this species is from Africa like me so I knew already what to mimic of husbandry care as best as what I could here in the US. I have also had great luck with many things with them including breeding.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1670/149-03N?journalCode=hpet

I did not have the effort put forth here when I started out with pancakes while at the Philly Zoo. I had basic science observations published like those earlier accounts noted in the bib of the citation at the top of this post. I spoke with Ron Hatcher, Zoo person to zoo person.

My Point.

The account that Courtney has put together here is really good, but not a recipe for success as much as a recipe to start with. The range is no less than 1000 miles south to north. That is a huge variation. Think about the differences in spotted turtles that range from southern Canada to Florida. There could be a single care sheet for them, but the differences in how those spotted do is enough to make many cares sheet with specifics important.

I have found a big difference in incubation methods that indicate that at least a few strategies will work for most eggs. But some eggs may need a specific approach. That could be an artifact of the kline (north south range) or an artifact of different methods that work within one population as a evolution derived means to deal with climate differences from one year to the next.

As a smaller species I completely agree with offering food daily even if none is eaten. Unless you have a 24 hour means to monitor a small group consider that one may be eating daily while another individual eats every two or three days. That less frequent eater NEEDS the food there on those days it decides to eat.

Even if they all crowd in one hide by their own actions, this should not be seen as a reason to remove "unused" hides. Like a cat, they use multiple places to sleep or hide, relax, and you may just not see it. The multiple hides is important.

In the past when you have looked for a consensus on their care and didn't find it. Consider one person was telling you about a group from one part of their huge range, an the next person was telling you about their care that worked for a group from another part of their range. I don't think most of us know where in the range they came from. So Courtney's account might well cover them all, at a general level, but pay attention to your tortoises, they will tell you about the fine tuning.

Toons1978

10 Year Member!
NW Phoenix, Arizona
Will, you bring up a good point that was the subject of my thoughts for additional info for Courtney's care sheet, actual natural distribution and differences in those populations. The few range maps that I have seen show pancakes in two small ovals in Kenya and a blob in Tanzania. So while their range when measured N-S is indeed vast, my question is are they occupying rock crevices from tip to tip or are they very much in three(or more) separate geographic ranges implying, as your experience suggests, divergent evolutionary traits?

As you've mentioned reproduction or more specifically incubation may be one difference but are there also size or pattern differences? When looking at photos and my own torts, I see two rather different looks to pancakes; there are the dark chocolate with distinct caramel radiating lines leading to the wavy-pattern at the scutes' edges(when large enough) and there are the more orange to light tan individuals with less distinct lines leading to the wavy-pattern.

My rhetorical(unless you know the answer) question is, are these indicative of distinct populations as seen in maps or just variations within single pops? Did the early groups you worked with at the Philly Zoo come from "Africa" or did they come from specific known locations? I'd love to see importation documents and photos of early imports because by now I'd imagine most CBB specimens are intergrades to some extent.

I noticed the bibliography of the paper you linked only had two pancake-specific papers in english and a few in other languages, all from the late 80s- mid 90s. In my own online searching the most recent that I've seen has been from 2003. I also saw a Californian Dr. that was supposed to have done some field research in 2015/16 but has yet to publish. I am really curious how much of an effect the pet trade has had on them as one study from '95 centered. With their low reproductive rates I am surprised they are still a "species of least concern." Feel free to send me any links you have on them as I'd love to read them then add them to my very disorganized online favorites folder.

While I think natural distribution section would enhance the the work Courtney has done, maybe I'll just have to wait for that book to be published that I keep dreaming about. And as you've mentioned Will, unless a person knows exactly where their torts originated, the climatic variation of their full range makes it hard to give a good general "native climate" example to emulate.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
http://www.bioone.org/doi/abs/10.1670/149-03N?journalCode=hpet

I did not have the effort put forth here when I started out with pancakes while at the Philly Zoo. I had basic science observations published like those earlier accounts noted in the bib of the citation at the top of this post. I spoke with Ron Hatcher, Zoo person to zoo person.

My Point.

The account that Courtney has put together here is really good, but not a recipe for success as much as a recipe to start with. The range is no less than 1000 miles south to north. That is a huge variation. Think about the differences in spotted turtles that range from southern Canada to Florida. There could be a single care sheet for them, but the differences in how those spotted do is enough to make many cares sheet with specifics important.

I have found a big difference in incubation methods that indicate that at least a few strategies will work for most eggs. But some eggs may need a specific approach. That could be an artifact of the kline (north south range) or an artifact of different methods that work within one population as a evolution derived means to deal with climate differences from one year to the next.

As a smaller species I completely agree with offering food daily even if none is eaten. Unless you have a 24 hour means to monitor a small group consider that one may be eating daily while another individual eats every two or three days. That less frequent eater NEEDS the food there on those days it decides to eat.

Even if they all crowd in one hide by their own actions, this should not be seen as a reason to remove "unused" hides. Like a cat, they use multiple places to sleep or hide, relax, and you may just not see it. The multiple hides is important.

In the past when you have looked for a consensus on their care and didn't find it. Consider one person was telling you about a group from one part of their huge range, an the next person was telling you about their care that worked for a group from another part of their range. I don't think most of us know where in the range they came from. So Courtney's account might well cover them all, at a general level, but pay attention to your tortoises, they will tell you about the fine tuning.
This is a nice anecdote for me to add on if that is fine with you.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Will, you bring up a good point that was the subject of my thoughts for additional info for Courtney's care sheet, actual natural distribution and differences in those populations. The few range maps that I have seen show pancakes in two small ovals in Kenya and a blob in Tanzania. So while their range when measured N-S is indeed vast, my question is are they occupying rock crevices from tip to tip or are they very much in three(or more) separate geographic ranges implying, as your experience suggests, divergent evolutionary traits?

As you've mentioned reproduction or more specifically incubation may be one difference but are there also size or pattern differences? When looking at photos and my own torts, I see two rather different looks to pancakes; there are the dark chocolate with distinct caramel radiating lines leading to the wavy-pattern at the scutes' edges(when large enough) and there are the more orange to light tan individuals with less distinct lines leading to the wavy-pattern.

My rhetorical(unless you know the answer) question is, are these indicative of distinct populations as seen in maps or just variations within single pops? Did the early groups you worked with at the Philly Zoo come from "Africa" or did they come from specific known locations? I'd love to see importation documents and photos of early imports because by now I'd imagine most CBB specimens are intergrades to some extent.

I noticed the bibliography of the paper you linked only had two pancake-specific papers in english and a few in other languages, all from the late 80s- mid 90s. In my own online searching the most recent that I've seen has been from 2003. I also saw a Californian Dr. that was supposed to have done some field research in 2015/16 but has yet to publish. I am really curious how much of an effect the pet trade has had on them as one study from '95 centered. With their low reproductive rates I am surprised they are still a "species of least concern." Feel free to send me any links you have on them as I'd love to read them then add them to my very disorganized online favorites folder.

While I think natural distribution section would enhance the the work Courtney has done, maybe I'll just have to wait for that book to be published that I keep dreaming about. And as you've mentioned Will, unless a person knows exactly where their torts originated, the climatic variation of their full range makes it hard to give a good general "native climate" example to emulate.
It would not surprise me if there is actually a difference between the groups that are separated from each other, could even be subspecies. But we will never know unless DNA testing is done of those species and if there is more looking into the pattern variance to see if the differences are found with each population or if it is a random colouration with them that is not linked to geographic range.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
The care sheet is sorta aimed at mainly ccb pancakes, because you can set them up in your own way with temps and such from hatching, where wild caught you will have to pay attention more closely to your individual animals needs. The care sheet is to be a basic thing to hopefully get you set up correctly that you can then expand upon with your own individual animals. And I do hope that the care sheet made it not sound like you had to get rid of unused hides, the more quality hides you can provide for them the better.

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Auburn, Alabama
Giving a heads up post I am going to make a second rough draft and post it in general discussions to get some more opinions on it and what people would like to see and corrections, I should do this tomorrow after I plant my potatoes.

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
My profile picture here proves the point that there are different locals. I have been lucky enough to live in Thailand and see the differences in pancake tortoises when there would be an import from Kenya or Tanzania (mostly Tanzania). The tanzanian ones are big and have a yellow tan to them with more diverse markings. I only have a male for my 3 female "tanzanian local" but none for my "Kenyan" local (1 female). I got the Kenyan local long ago but I haven't seen any in the market for 10 years as it is nearly impossible to export tortoises from Kenya now. I will post pictures of their plastron so you can note the differences. I am not planning on breeding both different locals together.

Toons1978

10 Year Member!
NW Phoenix, Arizona
Gabriel, please, post more photos detailing the differing local variants. That is exactly the kind of imagery I'd love to see!

Gabriel Mattei

5 Year Member
Thailand
Gabriel, please, post more photos detailing the differing local variants. That is exactly the kind of imagery I'd love to see!

I will post them tomorrow its too dark right now to take pictures. This researcher here contains most of the answers we need regarding locals http://michaeltuma.net/2013/09/pancake-tortoise/ . Take a look at what he has done i can't find the results of his DNA testing anywhere but one of us should send him an email asking him if he has gotten the DNA results. Anyway here are other good research papers on the distribution of pancake tortoises.

- http://www.bioone.org/doi/pdf/10.2982/0012-8317(2003)92[81:EADOTP]2.0.CO;2
- https://cites.org/sites/default/files/ndf_material/WG7-CS3.pdf