Making Troubles Comfortable

Status
Not open for further replies.

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, IL
I finally decided on a name for my russian tortoise!
His name is Troubles.. Seamore Troubles :cool:
he is one curious little guy to say the least :tort:

Well I have been working on his enclosure since I got him.

I adopted him from Petco, I probably should have done more research before adopting a tortoise as a pet but I didn't. I asked some of the staff members for help and suggestions, but now I feel like they really didn't know what they were talking about.

For starters they recommended I buy a tank, a small pool, a feeding dish and a hideout. So I did! After bringing him home and reading up some more I now know that a tank is all wrong for a tortoise. I have tried several things to improve his living situation. Including buying a heat emitter and daylight bulb (which the employees at Petco said he was fine without), because my house is pretty cold. I will include some pictures of the tank through various stages. I still plan on making a curtain for the front part of the tank.

Do you think that this is okay? I plan to take him out daily in the summer, and I let him wander around the house sometimes under supervision. I take him out to feed him, and I give him daily soaks.

My roommate has a toy poodle, who I always try to make stay away from him. My roommate things im being crazy, because I don't want them anywhere near each other. Her dog will go up to Troubles and sniff and lick him. I move him away from her and ask her to leave him alone but she won't and my roommate just laughs tells her dog she's being a good girl. This makes me so angry! Am I being overly paranoid?

Attachments

• DSCF0347.JPG
    DSCF0347.JPG
    818.8 KB · Views: 79
  • DSCF0367.JPG
    DSCF0367.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 90
  • DSCF0385.JPG
    DSCF0385.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 67
  • DSCF0389.JPG
    DSCF0389.JPG
    990.7 KB · Views: 75

BrookeB

10 Year Member!
Bodfish
The torts tank needs help but I'm sure some one will help you with that...

but as for the dog... this is what I think
dogs can do serious harm to your tort without any sign of aggression... my dog is a sweet heart who is around other animals all the time... cats, other dogs, horses, ducks, sheep and more but I won't let them near any of my reptiles... that's a natural pray predator kind of thing I won't mess with... That's not a good dog it's "humm he tastes like food? can I have him as a chew toy?" I would be pissed... I yell at my pups as soon as they get within two feet of my torts, lizards, or frogs.. they need to know it's off limits.. Plus I'v seen what a big tort can do to a small dog not good. Both ways it's not ok

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
I agree about the dogs. Keep them away. Even the friendliest dog can regard a tortoise as a chew toy. There are some dreadful photos around of chewed shells. A friend of mine has one she has rehomed :(

To give your tort the best life, he must have access to heat and light that makes him think its summer.

He needs heat to help him digest his food as he is cold-blooded and cannot generate heat himself. This is done by having a warm room - cool end of your enclosure no less that 80-85F by day and by having a spot lamp for him to bask under. The temp under the spot lamp needs to be 105F. If it is too cool, you tort will become inactive. At nights temps should not drop below 70F. I use a ceramic heater at night to provide extra heat without light.

Your tort needs bright light as well as heat for 12-14 hours a day. Any less or any dimmer and he'll think it's winter and become withdrawn.

Your tort also needs UVB light; this is vital to help him absorb calcium and keep a healthy hard shell.

As in all animals, as well as a proper diet, water is the essential to keep him healthy. Pet store torts are often dehydrated, so a daily soak is a good idea.

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Dogs and tortoises don't mix, IMHO even a well trained dog should never be left alone with a tortoise. Some people just don't get or they don't care.

Kolorbl1nd

5 Year Member
NY
I love how well you used the amount of space that you had in the tank...smart!! the cheepest way is to either get a big under the bed/ storage container or what i did was flipped a old dresser on its back and put a tarp and shower curtain to water proof it. and for your room mate, sounds like shes childish, be firm with her that your tort means alot to you and to please keep her poodle away from him/her. if you have any questions you can message me
Beckie

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
JoesMum said:
I agree about the dogs. Keep them away. Even the friendliest dog can regard a tortoise as a chew toy. There are some dreadful photos around of chewed shells. A friend of mine has one she has rehomed :(

To give your tort the best life, he must have access to heat and light that makes him think its summer.

He needs heat to help him digest his food as he is cold-blooded and cannot generate heat himself. This is done by having a warm room - cool end of your enclosure no less that 80-85F by day and by having a spot lamp for him to bask under. The temp under the spot lamp needs to be 105F. If it is too cool, you tort will become inactive. At nights temps should not drop below 70F. I use a ceramic heater at night to provide extra heat without light.

Your tort needs bright light as well as heat for 12-14 hours a day. Any less or any dimmer and he'll think it's winter and become withdrawn.

Your tort also needs UVB light; this is vital to help him absorb calcium and keep a healthy hard shell.

As in all animals, as well as a proper diet, water is the essential to keep him healthy. Pet store torts are often dehydrated, so a daily soak is a good idea.

My soaking tips are:
1. Soak first thing before your tort has warmed up properly to reduce escape attempts.
2. Use a high sided bowl or box so your tort can't see out
3. Use enough warm (not hot) water to just come over your tort's plastron (undershell). Get the temperature right and your not-warmed-up tort is more likely to lounge and absorb the heat.
4. Soak for a good 20 minutes. Don't worry if you don't see him drink; torts can absorb water through the skin. The length of soak is important.
5. Your tort may wee and/or poop in the water - it's more likely to concern you than him. You can change the water if it's truly disgusting. Don't worry if your tort eats his poop; it's said to improve gut flora!
6. Feed straight after the soak. Joe is always hungriest straight after his.

thanks for all the detail! this was really helpful :)

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
UVB Powersun light, NO dogs! :) And also I kind of think if you are going to use the tank you have for now I would buy a tank back ground that goes on the outside of the tank and cover at least the sides and the back to make Troubles feel like she is sort of protected by something, the pet stores sell all kinds of back grounds. Good luck and have a good day! :)

ceci3692

5 Year Member
Chicago, IL
Dagashi said:
btw.. is that a mirror in the tank?

Yes, he seems to like to look at himself. He probably thinks it's another tortoise! Maybe he needs a friend :(

cemmons12 said:
UVB Powersun light, NO dogs! :) And also I kind of think if you are going to use the tank you have for now I would buy a tank back ground that goes on the outside of the tank and cover at least the sides and the back to make Troubles feel like she is sort of protected by something, the pet stores sell all kinds of back grounds. Good luck and have a good day! :)

In the last picture I posted he does have a blue background on the back and sides. He used to try to climb through the window all the time, since I put the background that has stopped but he still occasionally scratches at the wall.

LittleTurtles

5 Year Member
Just an input on the dog and tortoise, though your roomie has a small dog, I would beware, a rescue I volunteer with has a tortoise who lives outside 24-7, the rescue has gone to great lenghts to give him everything he desires (including his own building), he has been at the rescue for 20 years an is a perm. resident (owner is far to in love with him) shortly after moving to NC, a new volunteer left a gate open and a few dogs got loose, while normally this would be an easy fix, on this particular day the shelter was short hands and didn't notice one of the dogs (a boxer) head over to the tortoises area.... even though the tortoise has his own fence for cases such as this, on that day he just so happened to be resting against the fence, a tragic accident, a mishap, has left him with three leggs, and while he moves around fine, it should be a reminder... dogs are dogs, accidents DO happen, but it is our job as owners to protect our pets as much as possible (the boxer was adopted into a loving home with 2 cats... and no tortoises)

Status
Not open for further replies.