Making weird sounds?

Status
Not open for further replies.

tinybit92

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WA
Hey, a few minutes ago my Russian tort Jude was making a strange squeaking/grunting sound. He was stretching his neck up, opening his mouth, and making this sound. Then he would rub at his face with one arm. I gave him a bath hoping that would make him feel better and he seems okay now. He's a very healthy tort, always eats all his food and has been growing a thick, healthy, new strip on his shell for about a month. His environment is clean, just changed his cypress mulch a couple weeks ago. Should I be concerned? Is he maybe sick, or is it mating season or something? If any experienced RT owners could help me out that would be great. Thanks.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
At this point it might have just been something stuck in his throat. maybe some substrate or something he ate.

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I've seen my box turtles, redfoot tortoise, and Russian tortoises do that. They find a nice corner to sit in, stretch their neck out, and open and close their beak, making a kind of clicking or croaking noise. I've seen them do this often, so I think it is quite normal, and I suspect it is actually a good sign, because I think they only do this after they've had a nice meal, or when the weather is nice. My hunch is that they do this when they're feeling good, or maybe when they want to attract another individual. I would love to learn more about this behavior, but at this point, I think it's harmless and maybe even a sign that they are doing well.