Male and female eating

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Philly
Is it normal for my female redfoot to eat a lot more then my male? The male still eats a normal amount but I realized my female eats a lot more.

mike taylor

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
I would say yes . Keep a close eye on them . In sets of two they bully each other. One will eat its fill the other will hide and wait to eat . Watch for ramming and biting .

Rosiek15

5 Year Member
Philly
I always keep an eye on them that was one of my concerns but they both eat together no problem. He just walks away when finished she stays on her side so far no bullying. I'm moving into a bigger place and have plans to build separate pens.

cdmay

10 Year Member!
Somewhere in Florida
At times adult males eat much less and in general are less interested in food than adult females.
During much of the year my males are far more interested in roaming around or following the females than in eating. Don't get me wrong, they do eat but in noticeably smaller amounts than female counterparts.
My males will also become very much less active if separated from the females and they spend a lot of time just hanging out in their hides if a female isn't around.
I think it's just part of their conservation of energy once they are adult.