male or female cherry head?

onterrio

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Ontario Canada
This tortoise is being sold as a 5-6 year old cherry head and I'd like opinions on the sex (and if it is a actually a cherry head). Is this a male or female? (I'm looking for a male)

Thank you for any help

Terri

cherryhead1.jpg cherryhead2.jpg

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I see the dilemma.
It looks like a female with a males tail.

I have quite a few Redfoot, but I've (almost)always relied on other members for help sexing.
The plastron coloring does appear to be a Cherryhead.

onterrio

5 Year Member
Ontario Canada
I have 2 females now and their plastrons are much more 'U' shaped but I know females may have male characteristics and it can be hard to tell and I'm no expert.....

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I lean toward it looking female, but the photos really aren't very easy to tell from. Maybe ask the sell if 'he' has flashed or if they are just going off physical characteristics?

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Agree with cdmay, female. All my females have the 'u' shaped anal scutes except one which has the tight 'v' shaped anal scutes like the one in this thread, not the wide open 'v' shape that my males have.

onterrio

5 Year Member
Ontario Canada
I'm in southern Ontario. Canada. Not as easy to get tortoises here, we can't import them from the States.

Bryan

10 Year Member!
Looks female to me as well. Its dark plastron with some marbling in it leans towards me thinking that it is a Brazilian but it's be good to have head and forelimb pics as well.