Male or female Hermann tortoise.

Which sex of hermann tortoise makes a better pet?

• Male

Votes: 2 40.0%
  • Female

Votes: 3 60.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

mike 3611

5 Year Member
Hey guys, after much research I am planing on getting an eastern hermanns tortoise, however one thing I couldn't find is what sex is preferred as a pet, I was wondering which you guys prefer, and also why.

Thanks!

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
A Land Far Away...
They are both pretty equal to me, but I am going to go with male. Main reason is with a male you don't have to worry about egg issues.

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
And unless you buy one that is already 5+ years old you will have no certainty that it is either gender.

They can 'be bred to be' a particular gender, but there is no guarantee and no way of telling when they are young.

sewwhat

5 Year Member
:tort:I've had my Hermann for a year and a half, have no idea what sex Tootsie is. I don't really care Tootsie is a very sweet tortoise. I just looked for a healthy one, also the biggest.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
mike 3611 said:
Hey guys, after much research I am planing on getting an eastern hermanns tortoise, however one thing I couldn't find is what sex is preferred as a pet, I was wondering which you guys prefer, and also why.

Thanks!

Both genders make excellent, friendly pets, and (as you can see) I have both.

My vote would be for either or (if you have the room) both, in a ratio of at least 2F to 1M...otoh, 10F to 1 M seems to be Ptolemy's preference, and I'm working on it! :)

pam

5 Year Member
Minnesota
I vote female because you can have more than one female in an enclosure (my opinion) all my males have to be in there own enclosures they dont get along with each other :(

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Jacqui said:
They are both pretty equal to me, but I am going to go with male. Main reason is with a male you don't have to worry about egg issues.

pam said:
I vote female because you can have more than one female in an enclosure (my opinion) all my males have to be in there own enclosures they dont get along with each other :(

Excellent points...VERY excellent points! :tort:

Status
Not open for further replies.