Male redfoot in heat - help!

lightningrob

Location (City and/or State)
Sunnyvale, CA
It's been an interesting summer to say the least. Our boy Patty (thought it was a girl when we adopted him as a juvenile 8 years ago) seems to have reached either puberty or adulthood and is looking for love in all the wrong places, trying to mount everything within reach. Shoes, feet, bags of cat food, the cat (at least stalking her constantly but thankfully not trying to mount). And he really goes to town, grunting loudly and making a sticky mess.

Patty's history with us can be broken down into three phases:
  1. First couple of years: skittish, antisocial.
  2. Next 5 years: increasingly friendly and social (exactly what we were hoping for).
  3. Last few months: stalking every animate being, humping every inanimate one.
So now we're wondering, is this going to be our life every summer for the rest of our lives, or will he calm down at some point? And does anyone have tips for dealing with a rambunctious, shelled horny beast? I'm hoping someone knows a secret incantation that chills their hormones, or can suggest a company that makes lifelike blowup tort dolls, or something. Anything. My wife and I keep joking that we should get him a girlfriend, but we've read that males can be very aggressive and dominate paired females, and have no reason to believe Patty would be an exception.

What are we gonna do!

IMG_7615.jpgIMG_7615.jpgIMG_7617.jpgIMG_7617.jpg

method89

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Malverne, NY
He does look like he's hate ... well you know

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Years ago I had an overly "eager" male that once saw my female herd.
He tried 24/7 to get to where he knew they were.
I eventually felt so badly for him that I gave him to another member here that had several females they wanted to breed.
He didn't settle down. Ever.
I'm not sure he ever would have. Or ever has.

ClydeSheldon

Maine
I’ve had Clyde for over 30 years, and this is just a way of life for us. ? I’ve tried to give him things to “love,” like a small, partially deflated soccer ball that looks like a tort, but he prefers brown leather boots. Haha. Oh, and the Dustbuster? He’s also taken to an old fabric car trash bag thing that I recently removed from my car. I decided to stuff it with some newspaper to make it the right size for his preferences, and he’s been liking it so far! Also donated some old boots to the cause, ha. And I put down puppy pee pads under said sex toys so it’s easier to contain the shenanigans and keep clean. I think going with Patty’s inclinations is your best bet. It might not stop for him, like with Clyde. He does his business and then naps or hangs out to socialize. ??‍♀️image.jpg

Attachments

• 869067A4-8DA8-4EF1-8844-CA9C8FD9A012.jpeg
    869067A4-8DA8-4EF1-8844-CA9C8FD9A012.jpeg
    35.4 KB · Views: 31
  • F7118868-2C5E-40C0-9DEB-1E88EB891F59.jpeg
    F7118868-2C5E-40C0-9DEB-1E88EB891F59.jpeg
    76.5 KB · Views: 34
  • BAC55AB5-BC1E-43BA-925E-9BA17CB55DA2.jpeg
    BAC55AB5-BC1E-43BA-925E-9BA17CB55DA2.jpeg
    55.2 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:

lightningrob

Sunnyvale, CA
I’ve had Clyde for over 30 years, and this is just a way of life for us. ? I’ve tried to give him things to “love,” like a small, partially deflated soccer ball that looks like a tort, but he prefers brown leather boots. Haha. Oh, and the Dustbuster? He’s also taken to an old fabric car trash bag thing that I recently removed from my car. I decided to stuff it with some newspaper to make it the right size for his preferences, and he’s been liking it so far! Also donated some old boots to the cause, ha. And I put down puppy pee pads under said sex toys so it’s easier to contain the shenanigans and keep clean. I think going with Patty’s inclinations is your best bet. It might not stop for him, like with Clyde. He does his business and then naps or hangs out to socialize. ??‍♀️View attachment 300341
Does he smoke a cigarette after he finishes? (If so, what kind?)

lightningrob

Sunnyvale, CA
He would if could, I’m sure! He mostly just stares off into the distance afterwards and then naps. ?
Seriously though, how old was Clyde when he became sexually active? Did you get him as a baby? I've had Patty for 8 years but am not sure how old he was at adoption. He weighed 1.5 pounds then so I was assuming 2-4 yrs old.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
It could possibly be a yearly or a couple times a year thing.
However the bigger problem is him being allowed to roam the house. He needs his own proper enclosure. This will not only be the best proper way to care for him but also the best for his health. It will also be easier for the humans and other animals during these times.

vmocogni

Woodbridge, Va
It's been an interesting summer to say the least. Our boy Patty (thought it was a girl when we adopted him as a juvenile 8 years ago) seems to have reached either puberty or adulthood and is looking for love in all the wrong places, trying to mount everything within reach. Shoes, feet, bags of cat food, the cat (at least stalking her constantly but thankfully not trying to mount). And he really goes to town, grunting loudly and making a sticky mess.

Patty's history with us can be broken down into three phases:
  1. First couple of years: skittish, antisocial.
  2. Next 5 years: increasingly friendly and social (exactly what we were hoping for).
  3. Last few months: stalking every animate being, humping every inanimate one.
So now we're wondering, is this going to be our life every summer for the rest of our lives, or will he calm down at some point? And does anyone have tips for dealing with a rambunctious, shelled horny beast? I'm hoping someone knows a secret incantation that chills their hormones, or can suggest a company that makes lifelike blowup tort dolls, or something. Anything. My wife and I keep joking that we should get him a girlfriend, but we've read that males can be very aggressive and dominate paired females, and have no reason to believe Patty would be an exception.

What are we gonna do!

View attachment 297734View attachment 297734View attachment 297735View attachment 297735
I have a Russian It is seasonal for them and he rooms with 3 females for that reason. The females fight back or run. I have an out door enclosure, with hiding places.

newCH

5 Year Member
So.FL
Same here....Sheldon has been romancing his warm water bottle. He is 6 yrs old.
It started out that I bring him inside at night. I place the warm water bottle inside a fabric bag to cover it. He sits on it and promptly falls asleep.....but in the morning he's making his noises. I call the water bottle his girlfriend. Poor guy, he hasn't been around boots yet ! There is video but it's rated R ! ? ???
Screenshot_20200719-174716_Video Player.jpg

TexasCrush

Normangee Texas
Same here....Sheldon has been romancing his warm water bottle. He is 6 yrs old.
It started out that I bring him inside at night. I place the warm water bottle inside a fabric bag to cover it. He sits on it and promptly falls asleep.....but in the morning he's making his noises. I call the water bottle his girlfriend. Poor guy, he hasn't been around boots yet ! There is video but it's rated R ! ? ???
View attachment 300530
Does he smoke a cigarette after he finishes? (If so, what kind?)
Hi! I have a 7-8yo Sulcata who has been humping the concrete ledge around the goats water tank. Like you I have searched for “alternatives” but all I can find are scientists using vibrators on them…I am not doing that.

I don’t want Crush To hurt himself and would prefer something a little softer for him to love.

if you’ve made any progress in finding a “toy” for him I am certainly interested in trying everything!

lightningrob

Sunnyvale, CA
Hi! I have a 7-8yo Sulcata who has been humping the concrete ledge around the goats water tank. Like you I have searched for “alternatives” but all I can find are scientists using vibrators on them…I am not doing that.

I don’t want Crush To hurt himself and would prefer something a little softer for him to love.

if you’ve made any progress in finding a “toy” for him I am certainly interested in trying everything!
No toy, but I sacrificed a pair of garden shoes for him to make love to.

TexasCrush

Normangee Texas
No toy, but I sacrificed a pair of garden shoes for him to make love to.
?. I think I’m going to try a couple sand bags sat side-by-side. Only issue I can see is my goats eating the bag. I’ll let you know how it goes.
Attached is what I’m dealing with.

Thank you…5A3CC60F-154B-4312-BD14-EA7B2D3FCBC1.jpeg