Manuka honey beak treatment

RLogan

Hey there! I have a 6yr old male Russian tortoise, his name is Trogdor, I've had him for 2 years now, never had any real issues with him however there were a few lifestyle components he was lacking prior to myself taking him home, his nails and beak have never been trimmed and I'm at the point where it needs to be addressed, I'm 3hrs from a vet, which I plan on taking him asap, but in the meantime I am going to try slowly filing his beak myself. His beak in the last two weeks has shown severe dryness and has a chip in it now at the far back side, it's also beginning to peel, I give him calcium everyday, he has a cuttlebone, UVB, and UVA light system, his basking area is 30degrees and the cool end is 20degrees, humidity ranges from 40-60%, he's fed on slate, and bathed for a min of 10mins every two days My question is, because I've heard of Manuka honey being used on turts and torts for healing wounds, I'm wondering if this is something I can lightly apply to his beak to help it heal? Hoping for some help ☹️

MPRC

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Oregon
Photos might help people visualize what you are talking about. If it's mostly just dry maybe coconut oil could help?

RLogan

Photos might help people visualize what you are talking about. If it's mostly just dry maybe coconut oil could help?

I do have organic virgin coconut oil, not refined, I may just give it a shot, I'm wondering if his beak is starting to chip because it's so overgrown ? Might be too much pressure while eating.. his spirits are well, he's active, eats fine but that doesn't mean he's not having issues because of it :/ I love him and obviously want the best for him..

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Take the toe nail clippers and bite off a tiny piece with the edge of the clipper. Start at one side in the back and work your way around to the front then around to the other side, clip, clip, clipping off tiny pieces until you have it clipped all the way around. Don't take too big a bite, just little triangular bites with the edge of the clipper.

It's not chipping because it's dry, it's chipping because it's too long.

Last edited:

RLogan

Take the toe nail clippers and bite off a tiny piece with the edge of the clipper. Start at one side in the back and work your way around to the front then around to the other side, clip, clip, clipping off tiny pieces until you have it clipped all the way around. Don't take too big a bits, just little triangular bites with the edge of the clipper.

It's not chipping because it's dry, it's chipping because it's too long.

Thanks for the advice and the input!! I've been adamantly trying to learn all I can, he was given to me due to a family member moving and unfortunealty he did lack key elements for his health to thrive, I'm doing my best to get him back to good health, it's a slow process, but he has improved for sure, still have a lot of work to do! Starting with his beak and nails! Next thing is his enclosure will be upgrading to a 7ft long 2.5 ft wide, I have the materials, just need to build, come spring will be the outdoor enclosure and garden for their meals, I have two haha The other one is a female, Sahara, I just got her, about the same age, custom tort table, good size, she's trimmed up, hydrated, more than my poor Trogdor was when I got him, the only thing with her was that she's been over fed, her shell has pyramiding :/ not sure if that's something that's a little bit natural ? I don't think it is, Trog isn't pyramiding, but was dehydrated, I'm on him like white on rice! Want my reptile babies to thrive