Trim the beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Ever since I got Rocky, the male Russian Tortoise, he has overgrown beak. He had been kept outside for the past 5 months and looks much more healthier except his beak stays overgrown. We have many elements in the outdoor enclosure for him to trim his beak and craws down but the nature does not help.

I have been checking out on various forums and sites for trimming the beak. I kept asking myself: how hard and how dangerous it can be doing it myself? Today I finally decide that I am going to try it and help out Rocky.

I found a small nail clipper with about 1/4" of blade, used to clip the corner of the human nails. This will work perfectly on his small beak. The hard part, how do I keep Rocky still or stable to allow me to work on his beak.

... ...

About 7 minutes late, while I sweat a lot - as I was doing it in the sun room while Rocky bathing, the job is done. I felt sorry for Rocky but he does not seem to mind that much. I thought I might have put him into some kind of trauma but surprisingly, as soon as I put him into the tortoise house, where I have prepared fresh greens sprinkled with the newly ordered TNT from CarolinaTortoiseSupply.com, he immediately ran to food dish and enjoyed. I have proof in the following picture, as you can see that he just finished most of the greens in the dish and was looking at me with a little smile. I cannot help but took a few shots (the flash light was on which may have scared little smiles off his face).

samsungmobile 001.jpgsamsungmobile 003.jpgsamsungmobile 002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TortoiseBoy1999

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Palmdale CA
Could we have a pic right in front of his face before with his overgrown beak and have a pic after you trimmed it? :)

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
Since it is my first time trimming the beak, I am sure I need a lot of improvement. Anyway, below are some photos taken before the trimming.
rocky1.jpgrocky2.jpg

After the trimming:
samsungmobile 006.jpgsamsungmobile 008.jpgsamsungmobile 009.jpg

Neal

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Looks like you did a very nice job.

RockyMountainMan

5 Year Member
mattgrizzlybear said:
Looks like he is happy! He has very big legs!

I think it is the angle of the photo shot. He looks normal when look at close range. But I was wondering about its subspecies, I suspect it is T.h.Rustamovi. As the shell is domed, but long and narrow. My other tortoises seem to belong to the group T.h.Kazachstanica, as they are flat and almost as wide as long. But it could be some kinds of shell deformation when I got him. Wonder if there is way other than shell shape to determine the subspecies.

tortoise.jpg

biochemnerd808

10 Year Member!
Central Arkansas (we moved!)
Your little tort is so handsome! :) And good job on trimming his beak.

I noticed that you fed him his greens from a plate. If you feed him on a piece of slate or other flat rock, that will help file down his beak naturally. :)

dannel

5 Year Member
Saskatchewan, Canada
biochemnerd808 said:
Your little tort is so handsome! :) And good job on trimming his beak.

I noticed that you fed him his greens from a plate. If you feed him on a piece of slate or other flat rock, that will help file down his beak naturally. :)

Ditto

Status
Not open for further replies.