Trimming a beak

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Can I get a link or instructions on how to trim an overgrown beak? I know what to do to MAINTAIN a short beak...but what about a beak that has already grown big?

( I've heard of a dremmel) What else can I use?

Thanks!

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
emery board for nails work quite well for people, also nail clippers.

Are you getting a russian by chance?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I tried a dremel...it was so violent, I couldn't do it. Ended up using a cuticle clipper my fiancé had. It worked ok but was hard to get some of the growth towards the back. I need to try it again and prop his mouth open with a toothpick maybe.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
On the smaller tortoises and box turtles I use a human toe-nail clipper. You don't use the full blade of the clipper, but just the corner. You take a very small triangular bite of the beak with a corner of the clipper and you start at one side, clip...clip...clipping your way around to the other side, taking out tiny, triangular bites with each clip. When you're finished you can clean it up with a file.

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
My Ornate was staying with someone for the last two years while I had my yard renovated and until my turtle garden was finished. Now that I have her back her beak is overgrown too, so I have the same problem. I've never had to do this, so how would I hold her head, so she doesn't close up her shell?

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
I wait until the head is out fully, then gently placed my thumb and index finger behind the head, holding it lightly so they can't pull back in. Its not hard to hold the head, but its not for the squeamish, they will fight you the whole time and make you feel horrible for doing this to them. :(

bikerchicspain

5 Year Member
spain
I use human nail clippers as they have the same form as the beaks,

SMKennels

5 Year Member
This really helped I have 4 sulcatas and 1 has an over grown beak :( I was thinking about a file as I assume they grow like finger nails as it's grown and not always been this way.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
We recently had a nail and beak trimming clinic at our turtle and tortoise club meeting and I saw 2 tortoises get their beaks trimmed down with dremel, now that I have seen it done, I have no doubt I can do it, now I just need to find a dremel.

Fernando

10 Year Member!
Southern California
Yeah I've actually been looking to purchase a dremel. Not only for beak trimming but for other little projects I do with tortoises. It's a very hand tool.

Status
Not open for further replies.