Marginated hibernation

Status
Not open for further replies.

kerimarie

5 Year Member
Hi all, my 3 1/2 yr old Cyril is doing great, I've been a tortoise lover since I was a kid do over 20 yrs (I'm 30 now). Cyril is kept on a good diet and is active. When I awoke him from hibernation last year, everything was great, he was eating and back to his normal self. A week later I noticed red under his carapace. I knew immediately it could be blood poisoning. I took him to the vet and asked for antibiotics and it worked a treat. I was told it had nothing to do with the hibernation however, I can't help but feel it did, although I went by the book. I'm worried about hibernating him this year, I love him to bits. X

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Bucharest, Romania z6
Hi Marie,

Where are you located? Please add the location to the profile.
Can you describe the way you hibernate him? For how long? Outdoor/indoor tortoise?
Yes, hibernation itself had nothing to do, but a small overlooked problem before that can develop in a great danger. Cold it's hiding and slowing the progress of an infection.
It is a very interesting case of saving a tortoise life- can you give us more details- pictures, where the red appeared etc.?

Thanks!

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
I too would be interested in more info on your brumation practice and skill....along with a pic of your torts plastron and pic of his head and legs (the chunky part of the torts legs)....

Perhaps the pink colors you mentioned were new growth? and not a negative thing....especially since you mention he was good during and out of brumation and was onto his normal self in a week?

kerimarie

5 Year Member
Cyril is kept indoors, he has a tortoise table. It depends on his age for how long I hibernate him for. This year, I will be starving him for 10-14 days, so not to have anything in his gut - Cyril will be bathed daily.
Cyril will be going into a utility room where it is colder than the rest of the house, when he falls asleep he will be placed in his hibernation box which is lined with polystyrene sheets. Cyril will actually be inside a smaller box with dirt. In which he will bury into. I then place him inside the box that is lined. (obviously there are hundreds of air wholes in both boxes) then I fill with polystyrene large balls. I then check the temperature of the fridge to ensure it is on between 7 and 9 oc... He will be asleep for 10 weeks this year due to him being 3 years old!!!
Hope I've answered your queries. I live in south Wales uk. :)

CactusVinnie

10 Year Member!
Bucharest, Romania z6
Thanks for details!
Sounds OK, even the short hibernation. Marginata are not long hibernators, although they could hibernate 4 months without problems.
Good luck!

kerimarie

5 Year Member
CactusVinnie said:
Thanks for details!
Sounds OK, even the short hibernation. Marginata are not long hibernators, although they could hibernate 4 months without problems.
Good luck!

Thanks a lot!! It's such a nervous time :)

Status
Not open for further replies.