Marking babies

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLWR

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Baldwin Co, Alabama
Is there something I can use to mark the babies that is safe for them. Just so I know who is who and if I'm seeing the same one over and over or what...

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
A dab of paint or nail polish in the center of scutes is common for this purpose.

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
I use nail polish dots in the center of the carapace scutes. A different scute is marked depending upon which female and clutch that a baby was born from. I keep records of which female produced which babies and in which clutch in are particular year. it helps to identify which animals their related to and also enables you offer unrelated offspring if you are selling the babies. If you have babies from a single clutch and just want to keep track of who is who you can use two different color nail polishes on different scutes. The combinations are almost endless. A word of advice-place dots only in the center of a scute. If put in the seam or near the very edge of the scute the color can be trapped under new growth and become permanent before you realize it happened.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
A dot of nail polish seems to be the common practice so long as you don't try to remove it later with acetone.

Status
Not open for further replies.