Substrate for box turtles

Turtle girl 98

Location (City and/or State)
Sandstone mn
Hello, how is everyone doing? Just wondering since my babies have begun hatching finally what substrate should I use for their enclosure? Of course they won't be in it yet maybe a week or so. But just wondering what substrate is the best for hatchling box turtles? Not sure if sand is ok to use at all for them, probably not since I'm questioning it. Should I get like black dirt or something like that?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Hello, how is everyone doing? Just wondering since my babies have begun hatching finally what substrate should I use for their enclosure? Of course they won't be in it yet maybe a week or so. But just wondering what substrate is the best for hatchling box turtles? Not sure if sand is ok to use at all for them, probably not since I'm questioning it. Should I get like black dirt or something like that?
Oops meant to put in box turtles..

oneilmatt

St. Louis, MO
Sand is a BIG no-no. Read the hatchling care sheet that is pinned to the top of this forum section, it has a whole paragraph about substrate.

Some mix of organic top soil, sphagnum moss, coco coir, etc. is typically what you would want.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Okay I figured sand was a no no for him. I'll go check that care sheet out. I was figuring some Coco coir mix would work okay. Thank you!

Pastel Tortie

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
North Florida
Whatever substrate you use, top it off with a good layer of damp sphagnum moss (orchid moss). It's easy for the turtles to hide in, helps with humidity, and the turtles don't track as much dirt into the water dish (turtle pool) that way.

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
Whatever substrate you use, top it off with a good layer of damp sphagnum moss (orchid moss). It's easy for the turtles to hide in, helps with humidity, and the turtles don't track as much dirt into the water dish (turtle pool) that way.
Thank you! I got some plain black dirt and grabbed some leaves and a few little plants for him to hide under or around. He also has a make shift hide( out of a milk carton) and yes definitely seeing the issue with the dirt and the water. It's mucky by the water dish