night time temps for box turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

lisa127

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NE Ohio
I was just wondering what temps you all keep your box turtles at night? I keep my house at 68 degrees and I've been just turning down their heat lamps to low on their rheostat during the night. I mostly do this because their substrate is usually damp and I don't want them getting chilly, but I'm not entirely sure this is necessary for box turtles. What do you think? They are still young....one is about a year and a half old and the other one is 8 months old.

pryncesssc

5 Year Member
Chicago IL
From what I have read, as long as its not below 65 overnight , its fine. I think in the really low 60's is where respiratory infections can come into play ...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I usually keep the heat on at night until they are a little over a year old. I put them outside when they are about 2 years. But, I keep my house really cool. I hate heat. We have dry forced air and it's really bad. I have one inside now that's almost 2 and she only has a 5.0 UVB on top of the viv. No heat at night. During the day a 60 wt. CHE. Just what I do. I should add that some of my little ones are ones that people have given me that aren't doing too well, so that's another reason I keep the heat on for them all the time. I have friends that don't keep any heat on at all, and their box turtles are fine too.

jojodesca

5 Year Member
Bay Area
I have set my enclosure up with timers on basking lights...in 1 area it goes on at 7:30 off at 7:30 (12hrs) and the other at 8:30 to 8:30 (12hrs)....i turn the uvb light on for about 8 hrs.....I turn my heat down at night since i live in a warm area..however if you live in a colder climate they have these heat pads and heat rocks at pet stores you could try...depending on your enclosure..

Status
Not open for further replies.