Confused Box Turtles

Status
Not open for further replies.

turtlenewby

5 Year Member
I keep eastern box turtles. Where I live, it is warm during the days, and cold during the nights. My turtles dig into the dirt close to night time, thinking it's time for hibernation, and come back out because it gets warmer during the day.This is a problem because it's going to be like that for a while. What should I do? :([/u]

kimber_lee_314

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
So Cal
Just let them continue to do this. They know what to do. They will come out when it's warm to sun themselves, then dig in as the day gets cooler. Eventually it will be too cool and they won't come up. Do you keep them inside a protected area at night?

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I looked in the local turtle pen at 11;30 this morning and saw 4 box turtles. one was walking around (covered in mud) one was setting on top of the mulch pile, and two had their heads sticking out of the mulch. We got down to 38 last night and the temp was 49 when I checked on them,It's normal for them to go in and out or up and down this time of year. The water turtles are the last to settle down for winter. I am a little south east of Wash DC.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Currently mine are in totes filled with leaves sitting outside. I opened the lids to check on them, and one was sitting on top of the leaves looking at me. It is currently 39 here. They know when they're ready.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It is normal for box turtles to dig into the soil....summer, spring, autumn...this is their nature. Once they have dug in and don't come out anymore, that's when they're ready. They're not confused, just waiting for the weather to really turn.

Status
Not open for further replies.