ricorizkiaji

Location (City and/or State)
east java, indonesia
good afternoon

this is my first thread.
i'd like to introduce my self.
my name is rico from indonesia
i am a vet but iam new to tortoise world,

i have 1 male MEE and 2 female MEE all from wild caught, but after around 2 weeks they come to my place, they start to gain confidence and one of them always follow me looking for food.

so i think they'd already adapted well enough.
arount 5 days ago until now. every morning every sunrise the male start to mating with one female. sometimes (different female). he repeated every morning more with the bigger female.
around 3 days ago he start only mating with the bigger female, that's make me think he succesfully copulated with the one.

the season here still dry season no rain yet but pretty cold compare to previous morning before. (may that triger the mating)

size of male : 35 cm
1st female : 40 cm
2nd female :45 cm

my question are is there any sign for succes copulation ? are they the male is old enough to fertilize the female ?
iam just hoping it was a succes copulation and wait for the captive breeding babbies. as i heard rarely in indonesia any MEE breeder. but lot of sulcata..

thank you very much

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
here one picture of mating the 1st female
crosing fingers. Any chance can you get pictures of the male and female plastron and tails. I am trying to find good photos of matrue adult mountain tortoises. My guys are roughly 11-12 inches and trying to figure out sex. IF you can that would help! or know where I can find photos? I looked but photos are expied or old threads. Nothing good.

Kyle

ricorizkiaji

east java, indonesia
crosing fingers. Any chance can you get pictures of the male and female plastron and tails. I am trying to find good photos of matrue adult mountain tortoises. My guys are roughly 11-12 inches and trying to figure out sex. IF you can that would help! or know where I can find photos? I looked but photos are expied or old threads. Nothing good.

Kyle

As far as i know before i adopt mee. I prefer the length of the tail to the spurs. Based on kamp keenan video on youtube.

But after i take a good look at it. The male tend to have a convex form on caudal carapase.

I'll post the picture soon

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Provide lots of leaf litter for nest building. I THINK the rainy season is what prompts the female to start building a nest. Doesn't matter if they have successful copulation at this time, she'll still wait until weather conditions are correct to build the nest.

ricorizkiaji

east java, indonesia
After moving to new enclosure around 8 m x 15 m.
First they start wandering along, mating as usual and looks happy. After around 2 weeki found 2 broken egg. So i start think maybe the copulations succes.. So i put hay, and sprinkling water to make humid nesting ground.

Actualy leaf litter alredy provided from the tree inside.
But i dont see any nesting behaviour. And why she seprate clutching egg in couple of day, not all in one.?

the first day come out 2 egg that i found broken.
Second day 2 eggs.
3rd day 3 eggs.
So now i incubate only 5 eggs.

I put it on cocopoeat because i cant get vermiculite in here.
I put humidity more than sulcata which i saw on youtube. Because i think emys from a lot more humid area.

Is there any probablity fertile egg ? I think today i saw The "chalking Zone" in the egg. But i belive its not 100% good sign.

IMG20180805065957.jpg IMG20180804162503.jpg
IMG20180805065957.jpg IMG20180804162503.jpg
Provide lots of leaf litter for nest building. I THINK the rainy season is what prompts the female to start building a nest. Doesn't matter if they have successful copulation at this time, she'll still wait until weather conditions are correct to build the nest.

IMG20180802063447.jpg IMG20180804170902.jpg

gedong

Jakarta
What a nice outdoor pen there you have, hope you will get a fertile eggs there. Peace from Jakarta

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Usually eggs that aren't put into the nest aren't fertile.