Mazuri did this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ticothetort2

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
She looks great, glad she found some proper care! Keep up the great work.

CtTortoiseMom

5 Year Member
CT
Wow, she is a beauty! Great work. Mine is snacking on mazuri and endive as I type this.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for posting this. I saw similar results with my female sulcata Daisy. My evidence is anecdotal, but she did not grow much for the first two years. In the last year, since introducing Mazuri she has gone from 450 or so to over 1800 grams. I don't power feed her. She just grazes and gets Mazuri twice a week. When she's indoors she gets weeds and spring mix or something similar. She actually has a pretty low appetite for a sulcata and doesn't eat nearly as much as my 11 month olds.

If enough people keep seeing the same thing "anecdotally", I think we'll have to re-evaluate the validity of it all.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Madkins007 said:
I'm in the 'half Mazuri/half salads' camp. By combining real food and pellets, you get the best of both, and the strengths of one fill in the weaknesses of the other.

That's what I do, although I only feed the "mixture" 1-2X a week.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
Terry Allan Hall said:
Madkins007 said:
I'm in the 'half Mazuri/half salads' camp. By combining real food and pellets, you get the best of both, and the strengths of one fill in the weaknesses of the other.

That's basically how I do it. Now that natures larder is now open here, and spring is here, I'm done buying spring mix for awhile, and mix grass, dandelion and everything else I can find. I think it's better, and FREE.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
yagyujubei said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
Madkins007 said:

That's basically how I do it. Now that natures larder is now open here, and spring is here, I'm done buying spring mix for awhile, and mix grass, dandelion and everything else I can find. I think it's better, and FREE.

Yeah, outside stuff is best...I carefully planted dandelions, plantains, thistle and other tasty weeds in each of my enclosures (hermanni, ibera and daughter's box turtles) and they get a meal of cactus or veggies every morning and can graze at will.

kbaker

5 Year Member
Michigan
yagyujubei said:
...Her vertabral scutes, as well as the first costals really hadn't grown since she was a hatchling. I decided to try to get her to eat Mazuri, which she had rejected previously. ...all the previous non growing areas are growing with a vengence....I can see now that soon, there will be very little evidence of the odd growth at all. So no more leaning scutes!

I think people posting missed the big picture here. I've seen many pictures of adult Leopards with that 'odd' growth (or lack of growth) between scutes. Being that there were so many larger tortoises, I was not sure this could be corrected. This proves it can be corrected. And this also goes along with what I believe - "If the tortoise does not take to Mazuri, there is another issue that is being missed. And when that issue is corrected, that tortoise will love Mazuri like the rest of them!"

Status
Not open for further replies.