Not open for further replies.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for tips on feeding Mazuri to my torts

I have two hermann torts that like it when I moisten the Mazuri.

I also have two baby greeks. I ground up the Mazuri for them but seem to not to like it.

I appreciate any special tips.

I managed to purchase 51 lbs. Any recommendation for storage of the product.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Ive heard some people moisten with fruit juice but I only spritz it with water about a minute before I put it down for them.

You would really need a deep freezer to store that very well, but if you dont have one I would suggest using a tight sealing Rubbermaid trash can of some sort. ;)

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
When a sales Rep spoke to our Club he suggested storing it tightly sealed (so no moisture can enter) in the freezer for up to 6 months. He stated after that it will start to lose nutrients.
You got a lot of Mazuri to eat in 6 months. I could lend you my Pomaranian. He loves the stuff. LOL

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Some of mine eat it dry right out of the bag, but I have a smaller one that does better if its soaked. It absorbs very quickly, so just spraying it or pout water over it and immediately pour it out works too. I only feed it a few days per week. Depending on my schedule. Its quick, and If I dont have time to prepare veggies, i give them Mazuri.

soundwave

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Calgary, Alberta CANADA
I have a lot of Mazuri!!!

I probably try to sell some to our Canadian tortoise lovers.

The supplier told me that it would last a year.
I guess live and learn :p

S

stells

if you freeze this stuff does it still keep all of its nutritional value???

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You've hit all the main methods of feeding. When you soak it you want to soak it just enough so the tortoise can bite into it. Experiment with the moisture content. The harder you can leave it the better so long as the tortoise can bite into it.

If it is dry and in an air tight container... I suspect it could last a year when I consider the dates of some of the bags I've gotten. You do have to be careful not to feed rancid food as with any food.

I've heard of people freezing it but I suspect it would be the same as cooking... I would think that it could break down some of the nutrients.

The best course of action would be to sell off what you don't need in a month or 2... or... get more tortoises.

Ed

soundwave said:
Hello everyone,

I'm looking for tips on feeding Mazuri to my torts

I have two hermann torts that like it when I moisten the Mazuri.

I also have two baby greeks. I ground up the Mazuri for them but seem to not to like it.

I appreciate any special tips.

I managed to purchase 51 lbs. Any recommendation for storage of the product.

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
So I just got off the phone with a Mazuri Rep. She said the shelf life is 9 months. You can place it in individual bags and freeze it for a year. She stated after a year she would be learly of using it. She said the vitamine and minierals in it have fairly long shelf life and should not break down within that amount of time.

Jentortmom

10 Year Member!
Arizona
I leave the ground up mazuri in some of the babies pens, and then I also every once in a while mix it in with the food and it sticks so they get the taste, thats what I had to do initially to get mine to eat it.

Status
Not open for further replies.