Mazuri Pellets for Sully

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
Has anyone fed Mazuri Pellets to their Sulcata?
Do you know of a good online source that sells the pellets?
I'm having a hard time getting my sully to eat dried grasses.
She is only 2 years old. Should I be concerned?
She has accsess to St. Augustine grass that she eats occasionally.
How much grass do they need?

Seiryu

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SE Michigan
sunkisseddragons said:
Has anyone fed Mazuri Pellets to their Sulcata?
Do you know of a good online source that sells the pellets?
I'm having a hard time getting my sully to eat dried grasses.
She is only 2 years old. Should I be concerned?
She has accsess to St. Augustine grass that she eats occasionally.
How much grass do they need?

Grasses/Hays = 70-75% of a Sulcatas diet.
Plants/Leaves/Weeds = 20-25% of diet.
Fruits/Veggies = 0-5% feed rarely.

And as far as Mazuri goes. Some people like it, some don't. It has too much grains (bad in large amounts) and most people i've seen don't use it or use it 2-3 times a week, along with other things with it. Not just it alone. I wouldn't use it often/staple diet. And I personally won't use it. But I havn't looked into it much as i'm growing everything myself. So not a pro at Mazuri :p

http://africantortoise.com/diet.htm amazing site. Has almost everything you need. Browse all the different pages.

I'm personally using these for my Leopard (Almost the exact same diet needs, if not the same as a Sulcata)

Grasses: Couch, Crab (from yard) and Bluegrass, Rye and Fescues.

Plants: Sage, Aloe Vera, Alyssum Sweet, Aster, Dahlia, Geranium, Marigold, Day Lily, Californian Poppy, Hollyhock

Fruit Plants (again just a tiny bit of fruit 1-2 times a week max): Strawberry, Canteloupe, Watermelons. They can eat as many leaves as they want off these. Just not the fruits.

M

Maggie Cummings

I don't understand why people think they have to push hay onto a young tortoise. Bob didn't start eating hay until he was 11 or 12. For a young tort I try to graze them on ordinary grass and I supplement with Spring Mix and dark leafy greens.
And I add Mazuri about 3 times a week. It contains stuff that most tortoises wouldn't normally eat, but it's great for keeping their poop firm and nice...
Grocery store greens and stuff picked from the wild is a good diet. Right now I'm adding dandelions, grape leafs, pumpkin blooms, squash blooms, day lilies, strawberries watermelon, Rose of Sharon, blackberry leafs and all that is free and growing around my house.
You can go to a feed store that sells Purina products and they will order Mazuri for you. It comes in a 25 pound bag. You can go to Ebay and get a smaller quantity. Some Mom and Pop pet stores will sell it in smaller quantities...

sunkisseddragons

5 Year Member
I'm glad to hear that. My desert tortoise has never really eaten hay, but has always had access to fresh grass. I don't ever see him eat it though. It wasn't until I got my sulcata that I heard all the stuff about feeding primarily grasses. I might look into getting the pellets for supplementing.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
Mine LOVE mazuri. I buy it at the feed store that carries Purina. About $26 for a large bag. several people offer it here on this site in smaller quantities. Mine are outside and graze on grasses, I dont see them eat dry hay. I wish they did,, but where i have them, they cant keep up with whats growing! they occasionally get a treat.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
My sulcatas get it about 2x a week. They love it and it is great to fill in if you are out of greens.

Status
Not open for further replies.