Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
From: U.S. Food & Drug Administration (FDA) <[email protected]>
Subject: Voluntary Recall of LabDie and Mazuri Feed Products

Voluntary Recall of LabDie and Mazuri Feed Products

PMI Nutrition International has initiated a voluntary recall of four varieties of the LabDiet® and Mazuri® feed products listed below, due to the potential for an elevated vitamin D level in these products. Elevated vitamin D levels can be harmful to animals if fed for extended periods.

Formula No. 5025 Item No. 0001330 Description Guinea Pig Diet 50# Lot APR171222

56A6 0001452 Mazuri® Small Bird Maintenance 25# APR15123

5MA2 0040996 Mazuri® Primate Maintenance Biscuit 25# APR22122

5MD9 0011482 Mazuri® Maned Wolf Diet 33# APR21122

No mention, as of right now, of the Tortoise Diet, but users may want to check w/ the manufacturer periodically.

[email protected]

10 Year Member!
Mobile, Alabama
Sorry, but I don't trust commercial pet foods including Mazuri as far as I can putt a 100 pound sulcata across a lawn. Recalls occur after the poison and dangerous foods have been fed to our pets.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
The recall now includes a few more types of Mazuri feed, I don't have the list at the moment but I think there were more primate foods and I think mouse breeder. The vet at Fossil Rim along with other zoo's has decided any feed that fall's in the recalled dates (about April 11-23) and is from the Richmond, Indiana plant should not be used.

All bags of Mazuri feed will have a code indicating the date and the plant that processesed it. So the code APR20122 or APR20123, with the last 2 or 3 indicating Richmond, Indiana plant (the only plant that the recall has come from), 12 is year, then APR20 date of milling. Anything that falls in thoes dates and has the 2 or 3 at the end should probably not be used.

Niki

5 Year Member
I purchased a small bag on line. It came shrink wrapped. No labels, numbers etc. I should probably just toss it huh?

tyguy35

5 Year Member
ontario
Here in Canada I called the store I get it from and they haven't been informed I hope my bags good. I bought it in a huge ziplock bag so no codes.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
If I am reading it properly, I believe it is from the richmond indiana plant, so canada should be ok, but I can't say 100 percent.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
Niki said:
I purchased a small bag on line. It came shrink wrapped. No labels, numbers etc. I should probably just toss it huh?

Would it be possible to contact where you got and see if they can give you the batch #? If not, I don't know what to tell you...so far, no Tortoise Chow has been mentioned in the recall, so it might be safe...I'd use something else until I knew for certain, though.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
Sorry, but I don't trust commercial pet foods including Mazuri as far as I can putt a 100 pound sulcata across a lawn. Recalls occur after the poison and dangerous foods have been fed to our pets.

You have every right to use or not use packaged food for any reason you want, but I am curious. Does this distrust apply to packaged foods for humans as well? They are dangerously contaminated just as often as pet foods are.

RonHays

5 Year Member
Oxford, Ms
Madkins007 said:
You have every right to use or not use packaged food for any reason you want, but I am curious. Does this distrust apply to packaged foods for humans as well? They are dangerously contaminated just as often as pet foods are.

Good point. I wonder that myself.

mightymizz

5 Year Member
Just got a 25lb bag and it was June 2012 with a 3 at the end. Should I feel somewhat safe in using it as it still comes from the Richmond plant?

Status
Not open for further replies.