Mazuri shelf life

Status
Not open for further replies.

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Does anyone knows for how long Mazuri can be stored?

I bought an 1 pound bag last year, but my torts are small and don't eat too much. I still have a lot left. The package did not have anything printed on it. The way it's going, I'm going to have to get more tortoises to help eat that stuff..:p

Is there a good way to store it, so it remains fresh longer?

Thanks.
Em

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Iowa
You could keep it in the freezer, that way it won't go buggy.

Chucky

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
S. Oregon
I put mine in those new type coffee cans(Plastic) that the lids seal tight on them and I keep them in a nice dry cool place.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
As long as it does not get wet it can last way over a year. I know many people who keep it in the freezer.

It can go rancid if it gets wet so be careful.

I go through about 50lbs every two weeks.

Ed

hystrix said:
Does anyone knows for how long Mazuri can be stored?

I bought an 1 pound bag last year, but my torts are small and don't eat too much. I still have a lot left. The package did not have anything printed on it. The way it's going, I'm going to have to get more tortoises to help eat that stuff..:p

Is there a good way to store it, so it remains fresh longer?

Thanks.
Em

jasso2

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
-EJ said:
As long as it does not get wet it can last way over a year. I know many people who keep it in the freezer.

Ed
****50lbs every 2 weeks. was that a typo? man what kind and how many tortoise do u have? cool

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Nope... not a typo. I've got a decent herd.

Ed

jasso2 said:
-EJ said:

Ed
****50lbs every 2 weeks. was that a typo? man what kind and how many tortoise do u have? cool

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thank you guys :)

I think I'm going to buy a new bag since I didn't keep it in an airtight container, just to be safe. It looks dry, but might be stale now and I don't really want to sample it myself..
I am going to keep it in the freezer from now on.

50 lbs!!!! My goodness, Ed!!

Anja, do you still sell Mazuri?

Em

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I do still have some available, I need to order a couple of new bags. I just updated the ad in the classifieds for it. :)

hystrix

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Thanks, Anja.
An order coming your way :D

Em

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
I have a quick question about Mazuri. I plan on buying a 25 lbs bag since its roughly the same cost as buying two 1 lbs bags. I was going to repackage it in 1/2 lbs vacuum sealed bags. Would the vacuum sealed bags need to be frozen or would they be stable? I do plan on donating some to W.R.A.M.P.S. (local wildlife rescue and rehab group).

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Freezing it would be an option. Vaccuume pack is another good one.

You can also contact other tortoise keepers locally to share a batch.

You're last option is yet another good one.

Ed

bacaraj said:
I have a quick question about Mazuri. I plan on buying a 25 lbs bag since its roughly the same cost as buying two 1 lbs bags. I was going to repackage it in 1/2 lbs vacuum sealed bags. Would the vacuum sealed bags need to be frozen or would they be stable? I do plan on donating some to W.R.A.M.P.S. (local wildlife rescue and rehab group).

bacaraj

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Biloxi,MS
But do I need to freeze if I vacuum seal? I have very limited cold storage since Katrina so its really not an option for me, I just don't like the idea of spending 10 times more to get the smaller package.

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Personally I would suggest freezing it just to be extra cautious.

The stuff does go bad if it gets wet. I don't know the shelf life of the stuff put I've had bags marked a year old.

Ed

bacaraj said:
But do I need to freeze if I vacuum seal? I have very limited cold storage since Katrina so its really not an option for me, I just don't like the idea of spending 10 times more to get the smaller package.

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
When I had parrots and them pellets, I found that by keeping the packages in the freezer I prevented the development of flour moths. If these moths don't develop in longtime stored milled product you don't want it. the freezing supresses developement of eggs.

Status
Not open for further replies.