MAZURI TORTOISE FOOD HUMM.........

Status
Not open for further replies.

fearlesshugo

5 Year Member
I hear alot of ppl using mazuri tortoise food and the regular veggies but does this food really help the tort, i was at a pet store the other day and the owner of the store had 2 redfoot pretty big he lets them roam around in the store he told me all he been feeding them where the mazuri food but i see the tort has pyramid on them, but they tend to love them he put them in the dish and man were they going at it......
Any 1 every heard of this food before, and would u reccommend it???

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
The cause of the pyramiding on the Redfoots you saw was not from feeding them Mazuri tortoise chow. If they were being fed just Mazuri and some vegetables their diet is less than ideal for certain. But again, Mazuri is the not cause. To some degree diet may be one of several contributing factors but the most likely culprit of their pyramiding is serious lack of hydration and and humidity in their environment.

samstar

5 Year Member
From what I gather, Mazuri is the best formulated Tortoise food. I feed mine only Mazuri and once a week Salad mix, Hibiscus but 90% of the time Mazuri. Do a search here on Mazuri and you will get a lot of info. Ed(Ej) here swears by it as it has worked very well for his tortoises over many years.

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
For your Hermann, you can feed him spring mix, escarole, dandelions (once a week), kale (once in a while), chicory, raddichio, curly lettuce (it is ok but part of a varried diet, not only that), cactus pear... I give Hermy (my Hermann) 2 pellets of Mazzuri twice a week. Remember, the real thing is the best. Forget about veggies and fruit (I give Hermy Carrots only once every 2 months and a piece of strawberry once or twice a week since I do not want him to have diarhoea.
To answer your question, yes I would recommend mazuri but part of a varried diet not only that.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Because I worry that my tortoise's pasture grass might not contain the nutrients required to keep my tortoises healthy, I supplement their grazing diet once a week with Mazuri. I never used to use it, but after reading a post many months ago where EJ showed several of his tortoises eating the product and how healthy they all looked, I changed my mind and started using it too. The Aldabran tortoises really love it. And when I have to medicate a tortoise, because the Mazuri smells so strongly, all I have to do it mix up the medication in the Mazuri and they eat it willingly.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I use it and they love it..I think one of the reasons they took to it so well, is because the two that get it used to be fed dog/cat food, so they are used to the pellets.. they run for it. Its not the main source of food, but a supplement. or Treat .. They get more this time of year since the grass supply is not so great.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
samstar said:
Dear Stephanie,
I'm sure you know much more about torts than I do but I have to disagree with you, Mazuri is not tort treat.

Hi Samstar,

That post was mostly a joke, and most tortoise keepers here on TFO do report that their tortoises love eating Mazuri.:p

Is there a specific reason you don't like to feed Mazuri? I am just curious.;)

samstar

5 Year Member
Stephanie Logan said:
samstar said:
Dear Stephanie,
I'm sure you know much more about torts than I do but I have to disagree with you, Mazuri is not tort treat.

Hi Samstar,

That post was mostly a joke, and most tortoise keepers here on TFO do report that their tortoises love eating Mazuri.:p

Is there a specific reason you don't like to feed Mazuri? I am just curious.;)

Dear Stephanie,
I cant seem to find much of the diet required by Stars where I live, maybe just a little, also I travel a lot for work so my helper helps with feeding and it makes it much easier with Mazuri, nothing else. However once in a while i do feed him with salads, hibiscus.
Happy New year! :)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Stephanie: I THINK he/she meant that to him/her Mazuri isn't a TREAT, its a staple food.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
Hmm with all this Mazuri talk maybe I will try some with Nelson...I had been against commercial diets but you all seem supportive of Mazuri...

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Katie:

Mazuri is one of the better ones. Its always a good idea to get your tortoise accustomed to eating a mfg'd food or hay, so that in times of not-so-plenty, you still have something to fall back on for feeding. You don't have to use it all the time. I just feed Mazuri one day a week. That way if ever they are several days in a row when the tortoises can't go out and graze, or if I can't afford to buy produce, then I can always break out the Mazuri, because they really seem to love it.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
emysemys said:
Stephanie: I THINK he/she meant that to him/her Mazuri isn't a TREAT, its a staple food.

Yeah, I get that now.:rolleyes:

Hey, I give Taco her one pellet a day...she might nibble half of it if I'm lucky...:p

samstar

5 Year Member
I give mine 2-3 pellets and he eats half of it everyday. He weighs around 80-90 grams.

M

Maggie Cummings

Bob is being kept inside now because of the weather. That means he's not grazing and he is living on a tort salad. That's the trimmings from the produce dept of my local store. He immediately got diarrhea because of the diet. So I stop with the grocery store greens and that more or less forces him to eat the hay that is piled up under Queenies tort table. I also offer him a cup of softened Mazuri and after a couple of feeding of Mazuri the runny poop is gone. Like Yvonne I started feeding Mazuri because of the article that Ej wrote showing pictures of his animals and talking about Mazuri. But I think greens should also be added and Ej doesn't do that. And I don't feed Mazuri daily. Now I know Ej is gonna come on and ask if I switched to Mazuri because of the way he feeds why don't I feed Mazuri 100% of the time and all I can say is I don't know. Something in me says they still need greens...so that's just me and how I feel and how I feed.

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
emysemys said:
Katie:

Mazuri is one of the better ones. Its always a good idea to get your tortoise accustomed to eating a mfg'd food or hay, so that in times of not-so-plenty, you still have something to fall back on for feeding. You don't have to use it all the time. I just feed Mazuri one day a week. That way if ever they are several days in a row when the tortoises can't go out and graze, or if I can't afford to buy produce, then I can always break out the Mazuri, because they really seem to love it.

Thanks for the info! Nelson ate Mazuri at the breeder's and she sent some along with him when she shipped him, so I'll have to give it a try. Nelson has never turned down any food I've offered him so I'm sure he'll be very accepting of Mazuri!
I think I'll order some online. I left what the breeder sent in my apartment at school and I live at home now.

chadk

10 Year Member!
maggie3fan said:
Bob is being kept inside now because of the weather. That means he's not grazing and he is living on a tort salad.

Do you block Bob from getting out if he wants?

My 2 outdoor sullies have access to the yard when they want. When it is frozen outside, they'll come out for 2 to 10 minutes a day. But since weather changes so fast here, like the last few days, where it is in the 50s, so they have been out longer and getting lots of grass and weeds. But on those really cold days I've had to start giving them salad and a treat of butter nut squash in their shed.

Anyway, I let them decide if they want to brave the cold or not. I figure if they get really restless, they may venture out, and quickly realize they are better off in the heated shed and be less stressed with the idea that they are stuck inside against their will.

M

Maggie Cummings

chadk said:
maggie3fan said:
Bob is being kept inside now because of the weather. That means he's not grazing and he is living on a tort salad.

Do you block Bob from getting out if he wants?

My 2 outdoor sullies have access to the yard when they want. When it is frozen outside, they'll come out for 2 to 10 minutes a day. But since weather changes so fast here, like the last few days, where it is in the 50s, so they have been out longer and getting lots of grass and weeds. But on those really cold days I've had to start giving them salad and a treat of butter nut squash in their shed.

Anyway, I let them decide if they want to brave the cold or not. I figure if they get really restless, they may venture out, and quickly realize they are better off in the heated shed and be less stressed with the idea that they are stuck inside against their will.

I keep the doggie door closed. It's been below freezing or raining ice or just plain frozen. I have always allowed Bob a choice when it was just cold. But now it's bad weather, ice or snow, or rain. The main reason I am making him stay in is because of his grass. I want his yard to perk up and having his weight walking around on either wet or frozen grass is just not good. He has already made a trail where he paces and that's just plain mud. Mainly I make him stay in because I want him off the grass. Plus with it being wet and cold I don't need another tortoise with an URTI, as I have 3 right now and I don't want to add Bob to that. So while I would mostly agree with you, not this time. It's too cold and wet for Bob or his grass...

Status
Not open for further replies.