mazuri tortoise trial?

Status
Not open for further replies.

grogansilver

5 Year Member
They don't and wont eat it! I tried wetting it and even mushing it up and putting it mixed with the lettuce no good! Thanks for the trial! If you want the shipping charge to me send me your pay pal and ill reimburse you the couple dollars! Thanks.

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
I am okay no need to return shipping cost, just helping a fellow forum member try out Mazuri.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
grogansilver said:
They don't and wont eat it! I tried wetting it and even mushing it up and putting it mixed with the lettuce no good! Thanks for the trial! If you want the shipping charge to me send me your pay pal and ill reimburse you the couple dollars! Thanks.

Try adding some red food coloring or beet joice...for some reason, the color red gets tortoises very excited about eating.

Robert

5 Year Member
Galaxy far, far away...
Our larger leopard would not eat Mazuri when we first got it. Erin tried a few different offerings, and now she LOVES it. The endive "hot dog" method was the first one that worked. She would take one leaf of endive and separate it from the rest. One leaf will remain cylindrical. She would then fill that with moist Mazuri. That was the first time Leia ate it.

We also tried DeanS's lasagna recipe. We changed it up a bit. Now we take a Tupperware container and make a layer of Mazuri on the bottom, then cover with a layer of Timothy hay, then cover with a layer of diced up cactus, then cover with another layer of Mazuri. Fill with hot water and let it sit for 20 minutes. Slop it down and it sits like a brick. All three of our torts absolutely love it. They won't eat Timothy Hay on it's own, but they love it in the lasagna.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
This is probably a very stupid question, but I just have to ask it. Is red food coloring safe for tortoises? It's not safe for children and health experts say it should be avoided as much as possible in cereals, drinks, etc. for children. I don't know the reason why it is considered unsafe, or what the risks are.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DesertGrandma said:
This is probably a very stupid question, but I just have to ask it. Is red food coloring safe for tortoises? It's not safe for children and health experts say it should be avoided as much as possible in cereals, drinks, etc. for children. I don't know the reason why it is considered unsafe, or what the risks are.

The only stupid questions are the unasked ones, Joy!

I really don't think it makes my torts hyperactive. OTOH, I only tried making Mazuri red once, while I was waiting for the 1st order of the Marion Red Sticks to arrive (which also doesn't seem to make my torts hyperactive :p), and they seem a lot more enthusiastic over the latter. Many think that red attracts them to food and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm guessing it's like box turtles and poisonous mushrooms...the box turtles gobble 'em down and are absolutely unharmed, while eating the mushrooms (or the boxies who ate them) is an excruciatingly fatal death to humans most of the time.

DesertGrandma

10 Year Member!
Arizona
Terry Allan Hall said:
DesertGrandma said:

I really don't think it makes my torts hyperactive. OTOH, I only tried making Mazuri red once, while I was waiting for the 1st order of the Marion Red Sticks to arrive (which also doesn't seem to make my torts hyperactive :p), and they seem a lot more enthusiastic over the latter. Many think that red attracts them to food and I'm inclined to agree.

I'm guessing it's like box turtles and poisonous mushrooms...the box turtles gobble 'em down and are absolutely unharmed, while eating the mushrooms (or the boxies who ate them) is an excruciatingly fatal death to humans most of the time.

Thanks Terry for your take on this. You are right, it is about hyperactivity in children. Now I remember. Don't know if I would recognize a hyperactive tortoise, haha. Maybe it would be one that stays awake all day, LOL.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
DesertGrandma said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
DesertGrandma said:

Thanks Terry for your take on this. You are right, it is about hyperactivity in children. Now I remember. Don't know if I would recognize a hyperactive tortoise, haha. Maybe it would be one that stays awake all day, LOL.

My guess is that a hyperactive tortoise looks kinda like this...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0uXGT7B15c&feature=related[/video]

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Las Vegas, NV
Terry Allan Hall said:
DesertGrandma said:
Terry Allan Hall said:
DesertGrandma said:

My guess is that a hyperactive tortoise looks kinda like this...

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0uXGT7B15c&feature=related[/video]

That is so very funny...

Status
Not open for further replies.