Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Wayland, NY
Is the mazuri tortoise food for russian tortoises? I see it discussed here sometimes. Is it for all species? And if not, then what other types of these dieta are for russian tortoises?

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Mazuri can be used with any tort. Most people use it as a supplement not as the main food.

A russians diet should be mostly leafy greens. Mazuri is a handy top up in the colder months when the greens are more difficult to come by

hunterk997

10 Year Member!
Wayland, NY
JoesMum said:
Mazuri can be used with any tort. Most people use it as a supplement not as the main food.

A russians diet should be mostly leafy greens. Mazuri is a handy top up in the colder months when the greens are more difficult to come by

So if I use mazuri, and were to use TNT, would I have to worry too much about variety in the diet? Could I get away with feeding kale, lettuce, raddichio, romaine, plantain, dandelion weeds and clover as long as I supplement? Or would it be best to still try to get more variety?

Sent from my Ipod using the tortoiseforum app

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
To me variety is in the keaves, not using TNT to supplement Mazuri.

A good variety of Leaves are the diet of your tort... Mazuri maybe twice a week.

You don't need leaf variety every day, just across a period. So if you buy arugula and rocket one time, use that up and then offer romaine and caactus next time. Pick the weedsas you see them and use them.

My human family never have any shortage of greens to choose from in the fridge... it helps with the variety for Joe if the humans eat greens too :D

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
hunterk997 said:
JoesMum said:

So if I use mazuri, and were to use TNT, would I have to worry too much about variety in the diet? Could I get away with feeding kale, lettuce, raddichio, romaine, plantain, dandelion weeds and clover as long as I supplement? Or would it be best to still try to get more variety?

In theory, yes, your tortoise should survive and be fine with the feeding regime you mention. However, I think most people are still going to recommend a more varied diet. There is so much we don't know, or fully understand, about tortoises and their diets. In the wild they eat a lot of different stuff. Much more variety than we could possible offer in a captive environment. And they also favor certain plants at certain times of the year, so much so that any keeper could not possibly duplicate the wild diet. For now, the best and most successful strategy seems to be to offer lots of variety in the diet.

So I would do all of the above, that you mentioned, but still keep searching for, growing and offering more variety from whatever safe sources you can track down.

Status
Not open for further replies.