Me again - cleaning ??

ditzyangeluk

Location (City and/or State)
Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Yes, sorry, me again!

This may seem a strange question but ..

How do I clean out the inside enclosure/tortoise table? I mean, do I clear everything out every 3 weeks and start over or partially do it or what? :???:

I mean, if I do it all, doesn't that upset the balance/humidity/whatever?

Sorry to be dense! :roll:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I spot clean daily or more as needed and never completely replace the substrate. Some people prefer to do it more often, but I've never seen the need. Shouldn't do any harm if you want to change it out frequently. Just add the correct amount of moisture for your needs.

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Is a 'spot clean' easy to do .. as in can their poop be found easily! Others have said they do a complete substrate change every 6 weeks or so?

lismar79

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Every couple weeks I take torts out & pour boiling water in their enclosures. Kills bugs & any fungus.

ditzyangeluk

Sudbury, Suffolk, UK
Re: Humidity ..
"Every couple weeks I take torts out & pour boiling water in their enclosures. Kills bugs & any fungus" ... doesn't that just make it mud?!

I have had the following suggestions;

(1) Water it thoroughly, let it soak in and then water regularly as you would a plant pot
(2) run a short piece of hosepipe down to the bottom- leave it in permanantly, and just top it up through the pipe
(3) poke holes into the dirt and fill them up with water
(4) for top soil, you want it to be moist underneath, and dry on top
put the moist bag of soil in the habitat, and the lights will dry out the top layer
When you dig down with your finger and feel that its getting dry, you add water, maybe even a whole jug full, in a corner so it runs under and moistens the bottom
If you cover the top, as the soil dries out the moisture rises up into the air in the covered habitat making it a humid environment

ANY of them right/any good?