1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Mealworms

Discussion in 'Asian brown/black and Impressed tortoises' started by Morcomshane, Jan 22, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

1. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

Location (City and/or State):
    USA
    I see alot of conflicting information out there and all I want to know is if I could feed my brown mountain tortoise meal worms. I've got a few colonies breeding and I've held off because it's ok for some but not box turtles and other torts apparently. Any info would be great.
  2. Aileen

Aileen New Member

Dundee, UK
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Hi there

We do feed mealworms or at least morioworms to our Burmese browns but only occasionally, maybe once a month. Our adults aren't interested though.
  3. Kapidolo Farms

Kapidolo Farms Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

South of Southern California, but not Mexico
    It's okay. But that said you should watch over several feedings to make sure something weird doesn't happen. If tortoises can do something 'dumb' they will.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    I read a while ago that the meal worm's exoskeleton is not digestible, so I quit using them for any of my turtles and tortoises.
  5. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    That's why I asked, i wish i could find the article but I'll play it safe and just not feed em the mealworms. I haven't been anyways
  6. jsheffield

jsheffield Well-Known Member Platinum Tortoise Club Tortoise Club

Westmoreland, NH
    I feed my Darwin dried silkworm pupae, and he loves them!

Jamie
  7. Markw84

Markw84 Well-Known Member 5 Year Member Platinum Tortoise Club

Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
    I feed mealworms to all my aquatic turtles. Not as staple item, but certainly as supplement. They also love them and are therefore great for the grandkids to use to feed as the turtles will swarm over to get them. I use them for my upper spotted turtle colony. I do not use them for tortoises I have as I have herbivorous tortoises. I would think as a treat for a redfoot would be great.

You are right - there is a lot of confusing info out there. The food value is actually quite good. I also put Mazuri tortoise food and opuntia cactus in the container I keep the mealworms (I buy 5000 at a time) so I am gut loading them with good foods. The exoskeleton is harder on regular mealworms than the superworms. The supermealworms also last 4-5 times longer in the larval stage, especially at room temp, so they are a good choice is a bit larger worm is OK for your application. The exoskeleton is not totally digestible, but that is because it is mainly chitin. It does therefore provide good fiber. But even that is debatable as most animals that eat insects in the wild do have enzymes that do help digest chitin, and even in humans it has been found that the more insects that are in the diet, the more this is active in the gut. But even the indigestible portions simply provide additional fiber. The chitin of the exoskeleton also provides protection against some bacterial infections.
    ColaCarbonaria likes this.
  8. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    But, I don’t want to eat them ! :)
  9. Morcomshane

Morcomshane Member

USA
    I appreciate the info. Honestly, I'm just not going to feed them.
    I'm sure some here and there wouldn't hurt anything but I very the diet a bit and just thought what's one more thing that I happen to just be breeding anyways.