Mecury Vapor Bulb

Status
Not open for further replies.

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
Anyone have experience with these? I've heard good and bad. Not sure if I want to use them. I've heard some of the problems are eye infections because the bulb is too close. I'm looking for a bulb that will provide UVA/UVB. It will be used in my tortoise shed. The shed is 8x12 feet and the bulb would be mounted in the middle at a height of 6ft. The torts are on the floor.

Thanks for any suggestions and input.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
SoCal
You could drop it down to 3 feet if you want and use a CHE as well...you've got more than enough space to be concerned with overheating or eye problems...GOOD LUCK!

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
ah...got it. I've got 2 150w CHE in the warm spots and the thermostat is kept at 75F. It gets nice and toasty in there!

Need a clarification, you typed I had "more than enough space to be concerned..." did you mean 'not' to be concerned with using a Mercury Vapor bulb? Or should I be concerned with using one?

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
lvstorts said:
ah...got it. I've got 2 150w CHE in the warm spots and the thermostat is kept at 75F. It gets nice and toasty in there!

Need a clarification, you typed I had "more than enough space to be concerned..." did you mean 'not' to be concerned with using a Mercury Vapor bulb? Or should I be concerned with using one?

I meant the MVB can be within 3 feet of the tort without doing any harm...it seems to me that six feet is too high to be truly effective...on the other hand, if you're using 2 CHEs then they could be that high and still get the job done. I trust you're mntoring your temps and humidity...at tortoise level?!?!?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
OF COURSE I'm monitoring temps an humidity at tortoise level! Four different thermometers, 4 different places all remote to a center in my house with programed alarms in case of unexpected drop in temperature. The shed is fully insulated as well.

Thanks for the clarification.

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
I'd love to see a picture of your shed...

SunsetHypo

5 Year Member
This sounds like the setup I will have next year. I would love to see pics. Do you have back up heat or back up generator in case your electric goes out?

lvstorts

10 Year Member!
I posted pics and details of the shed under 'enclosures: Winter Accommodations for Refoots'.

T

taithelles

A mercury vapor lamp is a gas discharge lamp, the use of mercury in the excited state, producing light. Arc generally limited to a small quartz arc tube mounted in a big ball of borosilicate glass.

Status
Not open for further replies.