medicine chest

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maggie Cummings

I know that most of us have aspirin in our medicine chest in case we get an ache or a pain, and an antihistamine for an allergy. But just recently some forum members have needed medicine for their tortoise and they didn't have it. So I am suggesting a few things you keep on hand 'just in case'.
I keep Terramycin eye ointment obviously for eyes. I think that is a very important medicine and I wouldn't be without it. I buy it at my local feed store the same feed store where I get Bob's hay. I also get Terramycin powder at the same feed store. I use that as an antibiotic when I have an animal who is slightly sick. I soak them in it. A substitute for that is Tetracycline Hydrochloride. I always have those on hand because you never know when you are going to need one and to not having it could cause your animal some discomfort.
I have Betadine and hydrogen peroxide and Nolvasan also called Chlorhexidine solution, I use Betadine to clean an open wound then the Nolvasan to sterilize it. You would only use the Betadine once as it kills off the germs but it also kills off the beneficial white blood cells that are needed for healing for regrowth.
I also have Cod Liver oil, Mineral oil, Wonder dust and other odd things just in case.
So that's my list of most important stuff to have in your tortoise medicine chest. I think you need most of those if you have 1 tortoise or 20. To me the number of animals you have doesn't make a difference, if you have an accident or your tort gets sick you want to be able to treat them if you need to.
None of these drugs would take the place of a Vet if your animal needs one...

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
FL
Great post Maggie! I'll have to pick up some Terramycin eye ointment asap just to have on hand.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Its also handy to have a couple rolls of vet wrap on hand. That is a sticky-sided stretchy tape to wrap wounds. And, of course, scissors.

What a good suggestion, Maggie. Everyone should have a tortoise first aid kit on hand. And hopefully you'll never need it.

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
Maggie, you should make a tortoise first aid kit and sell it.. I would buy one.

Stephanie Logan

10 Year Member!
Colorado
terracolson said:
Maggie, you should make a tortoise first aid kit and sell it.. I would buy one.

Me, too! :p

No, I know I need to get off my butt and collect all those items myself...nice to have a list from someone who knows! ;)

moswen

5 Year Member
wonderful post maggie! i'm going to print it off for the next time i'm at a feed store.

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Yes I would buy that med-kit too! Great post Maggie, thanks. You can also buy the vet wrap at the feed store too, but I buy it at walmart, waaaay cheaper than the feed store!

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
You guys know my tendency to make articles, you may not know I teach Red Cross classes, including Pet First Aid and love first aid kits. Combine these and I wrote this unpublished article a couple years ago. Don't take it as gospel, but maybe it will help:

TORTOISE FIRST AID KIT
By Mark Adkins, based on “Making a First Aid Kit for Your Herp” by Drs. Foster & Smith Educational Staff and the American Red Cross "Pet First Aid" program

PHONE NUMBERS
- Experienced keeper you can call or e-mail for help, preferably someone near by
- Reptile-friendly veterinary clinic phone number and directions to the clinic
- Emergency/24 hour veterinary clinic phone number, directions (and any special billing or fees)
- Poison control center phone numbers
- Poison Control Hotline (for humans)1-800-222-1222 (Free)
- ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline 1-888-426-4435 (charges per call)

EMERGENCY RESPONSE KIT
This kit is designed so all the supplies you need to deal with most emergencies are clean and ready to use, and the actual box can be used to carry small-med. tortoises in.
- Clean plastic tub with lid to store supplies, and big enough to hold the tortoise for transport.
- Clean hand towels packed in a zip-seal bag (packing, stabilizing, cleaning, etc.)
- Paper towels (general purpose cleaning)
- Disposable gloves (just to be safe)
- Magnifying glass
- Penlight
- Thermometer
- Long-life hand warmers, etc.
- Wound Care Kit (see below)
- Instruments Kit (see below)

WOUND CARE KIT
Adjust sizes listed to accommodate animal size. Pack everything in an organizer bag or some zip-seal bags.
- Sterile gauze squares, 2x2” and 3x3”, about 5 of each
- Paper first aid tape, 1” wide (goes on the skin or shell to protect it from the stronger tape below)
- Electrical tape or waterproof first-aid tape (goes on paper tape to provide strength)
- Self-cohesive wrap, such as vet wrap, coach's wrap, etc.
- Alcohol wipes, several packets
- Wound disinfectant such as Providone-Iodine Scrub (Betadine), small bottle
- Triple antibiotic ointment, small tube
- Petroleum jelly or Bag Balm, to ‘seal’ injuries, small container
- Styptic powder or sticks, Kwik Stop, or cornstarch (to stop bleeding)
- Antibiotic ophthalmic ointment for eyes, e.g., Terramycin
- Cotton-tipped swabs, I packet or small box
- Sterile cotton balls or wound packing material
- Eye wash solution or sterile water in a squirt bottle (to rinse eyes or wounds)

INSTRUMENTS KIT
Disinfect everything and store in a clean zip-seal bag.
- Scissors- small, strong ,sharp blades
- Scalpel blades and handle (#11 is best. A clean, new X-acto blade can work)
- Pet toe nail clippers or diagonal cutting pliers
- Tweezers with good, sharp points
- Turkey baster or bulb irrigator (the thing they clean baby noses with)
- Pieces of sheet metal, thin enough to bend, but otherwise rigid for splints and shell repairs. Assorted pieces about 1/2x2” and 1x3” or so would be handy.
- Tongue depressors, clean popsicle sticks, wooden skewers or chopsticks for splints or to hold open the mouth
- Quick-set epoxy, 1 tube (use with metal bits for shell repair)
- Super-glue, small tube(s) (to seal small wounds)
- A magnifying glass and small flashlight are also helpful.

I like Maggies and EmyEmys' ideas as well!

M

Maggie Cummings

Sure makes my idea look worthless! However, I didn't add anything more to the list I made because I don't think it's a good idea to have inexperienced keepers performing surgery or treating a serious wound that should rightfully go to a Vet...

terryo

10 Year Member!
Staten Island, New York
I think I'll stick with your list Maggie. Mark's list is good, but if I need all those things, it would be time to go to the vet for me. I have the perfect little plastic container to keep everything in and am going to get it all this week. Thanks for a great post Maggie. You too Mark, although to extensive for my needs.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
Thanks Maggie and Mark! Also, keep in mind to check on the expiration dates of meds every 6 months or so. Some things are more sensitive than others to not working when expired, so if in doubt, I like to replace it.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
It makes the wound stop bleeding. (styptic powder)

S

Scooter

This is a great list! Thanks so much for posting it. I was just thinking how it would be nice if there was a medical category, that way all illness/injury question/concerns could be posted in one spot. That way you would not have to search all the categories for them and this thread would be a great start to that, just an idea.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Nebraska
maggie3fan said:
... However, I didn't add anything more to the list I made because I don't think it's a good idea to have inexperienced keepers performing surgery or treating a serious wound that should rightfully go to a Vet...

I agree completely, except for the detail that you have to keep the animal alive to get to the vet.

I am a BIG fan of the idea that a little knowledge is the biggest tool. With solid knowledge and a little creativity, you can deal with most emergencies without a kit- the kit just makes things easier.

(FYI, I don't have a special tortoise kit- just a good human kit with a couple things for the cat, dog, and torts.)

I also hope you realize I was not trying to dump on your parade- I just like sharing!

DonaTello's-Mom

5 Year Member
California, central coast
Sorry Mark, but for a newbie like me, your list made my eyes bug out when I looked at it. I didn't even read it. If I need ALL that stuff in a kit then I should be a Vet. I know you meant well enough though, but it DID look like you were 'dumping on Maggies parade'.. Just my 2 cents..

terracolson

5 Year Member
Sacramento
I am working on making one of these, any one got suggestion of places i can find these items cheap at?

I got terramycin for 5.99 off ebay no shipping...

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I did too Terra! Eight days ago so it should be here soon, not like I need it now though.

Status
Not open for further replies.