Red Ear Slider Wound/Fungal Infection?

cheehong30

Location (City and/or State)
Singapore
Hi everyone, I have a red ear slider that is about 13 years old now. Recently, I noticed he has a wound/fungal infection? on his left front leg. It was white when I first saw it. I thought it was a fungal infection and have been applying some anti-fungal medicine and dry docking for an hour once a day for the past 2 days. Now, I have noticed that it has turned dark reddish especially when he is basking and is dry.
I have never treated a wound/fungal infection before and am unsure if it is getting worse or reacting positively to the anti-fungal medicine. Would appreciate any help or opinions on this.
Also, I read online that applying some betadine could be helpful. Just want to check that any commercial betadine is okay to be used on turtles?
1689239009539.png
^This is the condition I first found him in.
1689239049154.png

^This is after 2 days of applying an anti-fungal solution I bought from my local pet store.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I would get some over the counter athletes foot cream and put that on it daily.
Before apply each day, lightly clean the area with water, then apply.

zovick

10 Year Member!
Hi everyone, I have a red ear slider that is about 13 years old now. Recently, I noticed he has a wound/fungal infection? on his left front leg. It was white when I first saw it. I thought it was a fungal infection and have been applying some anti-fungal medicine and dry docking for an hour once a day for the past 2 days. Now, I have noticed that it has turned dark reddish especially when he is basking and is dry.
I have never treated a wound/fungal infection before and am unsure if it is getting worse or reacting positively to the anti-fungal medicine. Would appreciate any help or opinions on this.
Also, I read online that applying some betadine could be helpful. Just want to check that any commercial betadine is okay to be used on turtles?
View attachment 358941
^This is the condition I first found him in.
View attachment 358942

^This is after 2 days of applying an anti-fungal solution I bought from my local pet store.
This looks more like a bite wound than a fungal infection defect. Is it possible the turtle was bitten by another turtle that lives with him?

cheehong30

Singapore
This looks more like a bite wound than a fungal infection defect. Is it possible the turtle was bitten by another turtle that lives with him?
Hi! He lives alone in his enclosure so can't be a bite wound by another turtle.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I see, I suppose that you think it could be a fungal infection?
I'm just going by what you said. That you thought it was fungal and the antibiotic didn't really seem to help. So the next move would be to try a fungal cream.
It's either what you said or just a scrape. Either way the antibiotic and fungal cream won't hurt.