Mediterranean.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Logan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
U.K.
Hi,

Hoping someone can help me out, My girlfriend bought this tortoise but all she was told was that it was a Mediterranean tortoise.

Can someone identify its species?

Thanks

Aaron

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    photo.JPG
    265.2 KB · Views: 67

Perseus

5 Year Member
Well, the forum tortoise id god is Danny (egyptiandan). Send him a message.

Could you take a picture of it's plastron (belly)? That would help.

Depending on what species it is...you can then pick out an appropriate substrate. The pellets in your picture are not the best idea. I know that stores try to sell them as tortoise friendly but they are not. The pellets are hard to walk on and get moldy easily (which can lead to eye and respiratory problems).

Humidity levels needed will depend on the species.

What are you using for lights? diet?

We like details! :)

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
USA
You have a Greek tortoise, Testudo graeca ibera. A plastron (bottom shell) picture would seal the deal though. :)

Danny

Logan

5 Year Member
U.K.
I will try and get a plastron pic up soon. I was recently told it a spur thighed tort. Which would mean its a Testudo graeca right?

The pellets were suggested by the store, but I have noticed they go soggy quick. What would you suggest as an alternative?

Light is a 26w desert terrarium, on 9am - 9pm.
Heat is 100w ceramic, on 24hrs (in the UK)

As for diet she eats a lot of garden weed and loves bit of sweetcorn.

All help and suggestions welcome. I am new to this and so far have only had help from the store.

CGKeith

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arizona
Aaron, I keep all my (indoor) greek tortoises on cypress mulch. Depends on where you live as to how easy it is to find and the cost, but it is worth the effort to get it.

greeks

5 Year Member
New England
Definitely not pellets :D

Cypress mulch is great, like CGKeith said. It can be hard to find in some places. I use a combination of aspen shavings and coconut coir, which you could alternatively try. Make sure the aspen is not treated, it'll usually say something like all natural kiln dried. Coconut coir is sold under a few names - ecoearth, bedabeast. If you go this route I highly recommend ordering from a pet supply store online as opposed to a Pet Smart, etc. as you will pay far less for it. This is true for most tortoise supplies. I like Pet Mountain, personally. Carolina Pet Supply is another one I've heard good things about, though I haven't used them myself.

Logan

5 Year Member
U.K.
Egyptiandan, that link just takes me to another forum, no sign of a list.

82f under heat, 74f other end. Not much change at night at the moment. What hours would you suggest for heat and lamp

I will look at getting some cypress mulch when I've ran out of these pellets. I have noticed they do smell a bit.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.