Meet Blue!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hi Blue.
His beak doesn't look that bad. Might just want to feed him on a piece of tile or flat rock to help it file down a bit.

Destben

Kansas
Hi Blue.
His beak doesn't look that bad. Might just want to feed him on a piece of tile or flat rock to help it file down a bit.

Yep got one already I will post pictures of my set up for advice in just a moment. I want to make sure I have everything correct because his care is a little different then a leopard tortoise.

Destben

Kansas
Yep got one already I will post pictures of my set up for advice in just a moment. I want to make sure I have everything correct because his care is a little different then a leopard tortoise.

IMG_9123.jpgIMG_9124.jpgIMG_9125.jpg
The size is temporary and the humidity is high because I just set it up.

Destben

Kansas
And the temp actually 74 on the cool side that thermometer justgot taken from my other enclosure and is going down still

Destben

Kansas
And I have another fixture for my ceramic heat emitter for tonight

Destben

Kansas
The substrate is eco earth and repti bark but I will have to put more in to bring him higher to get his basking spot where it needs to be it’s only 86 right now

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Pet Smart should be legally barred from selling tortoises. I can not ever remember seeing an adoption from them that was in good overall shape, there is always at least one issue. And they lie through their TEETH about age and captive bred or wild caught among other things. You seem to have gotten lucky, I see no pyramiding, beyond a beak that isn't perfect he looks alright. I do suggest daily soaks for a week in case he was dehydrated. A toothbrush and warm water will clean up the shell a good deal as well.

Destben

Kansas
Pet Smart should be legally barred from selling tortoises. I can not ever remember seeing an adoption from them that was in good overall shape, there is always at least one issue. And they lie through their TEETH about age and captive bred or wild caught among other things. You seem to have gotten lucky, I see no pyramiding, beyond a beak that isn't perfect he looks alright. I do suggest daily soaks for a week in case he was dehydrated. A toothbrush and warm water will clean up the shell a good deal as well.

Definitely! I soaked him good when I got home and he passed a ton of urates! He’s going to to get soaked every day until he passes clear urates like my leopard.

Destben

Kansas
Definitely! I soaked him good when I got home and he passed a ton of urates! He’s going to to get soaked every day for until he passes clear urates like my leopard.

Honestly I only bought from petsmart because he had blue eyes. It was too good to pass up. They are horrible at taking care of pets!

Last edited:

DARKFIRE007

Birmingham Alabama
Honestly I got only bought from petsmart because he had blue eyes. It was too good to pass up. They are horrible at taking care of pets!

Understand. I am guilty of this as well, if I see a tort that is on the rare side I start wanting it. "Hybrid" is a dirty word here...but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't buy one.

Destben

Kansas
Understand. I am guilty of this as well, if I see a tort that is on the rare side I start wanting it. "Hybrid" is a dirty word here...but I would be lying if I said I wouldn't buy one.

I always go and look at them but this was the only time I couldn’t say no.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Definitely! I soaked him good when I got home and he passed a ton of urates! He’s going to to get soaked every day until he passes clear urates like my leopard.
Leopards usually never pass urates where as a Russian always will. You just want them to be like tooth paste, smooth, not gritty.

Destben

Kansas
Leopards usually never pass urates where as a Russian always will. You just want them to be like tooth paste, smooth, not gritty.

Cool I thought tortoises only pass urates if they are dehydrated so that’s good to know I was a little worried about him

Destben

Kansas
IMG_9161.jpg
That’s the best picture I could get of his eyes today. I can’t wait till it’s warm enough to go outside so you guys can see his eyes better in the sun light

Rover15

5 Year Member
ontario canada
Looks good, i bought bert my eastern at a pet store, not pet smart, and he was in rough shape, and the owner got argumentative when i suggested he wasnt an eastern box turtle. At the end of the day i haggled the price and brought him home and gave him brtter care, just like you XD

Destben

Kansas
IMG_1525015162.704830.jpg
When their poop looks like throw up then there is definitely an issue with their diet