Meet dozer the 20 year old red foot

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Are you sure? Where's his red? He's pyramided. my guess his humidity has not been high enuf...Do you want to show us how you have him set up? Let us help you cuz I'll bet you a cheeseburger everything you were told is wrong...lol...here's LilyDSCN2423.JPG
she lives here...(sorry William)DSCN2331.JPG

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
This is dozer, he’s 20yrs old and is a red foot does he look in good health recently got him and I’m new to the tortoise world.View attachment 366005
Hello and welcome! Great shot of yawning Dozer!

As much as I can tell from this photo: he is more or less healthy. He has pyramiding (bumpy shell) from living in too dry conditions. And, perhaps, he is kept too dry right now - the skin on his legs looks dry too. Redfoots need humidity closer to 90% and temperatures around 82-84F, all the time.

You can post more photos of how you keep him now, what heating and lightning you have, his diet and daily routines so we can suggest improvements if needed.

ND135

Maryland
This is dozer, he’s 20yrs old and is a red foot does he look in good health recently got him and I’m new to the tortoise world.View attachment 366005
Hello handsome Dozer! I can't fully tell if Dozer is indeed a Redfoot from this photo. Welcome to the group. You learn a lot here from good caring people and I'm grateful to have found Tortoise Forum.

Dozer appears to have some pyramiding of the scutes and he looks a little dry. I've also been told by others that the bark substrate can be harmful to their eyes and bad if they swallow pieces of it.

If Dozer is truly a Redfoot:

1. Maintain humidity levels between 70-80 (really no lower than 70)

2. Soak regularly (age depending) In shallow lukewarm water. Mine is 2yrs old so we soak daily. I believe as they get older soaking multiple times a week is sufficient.

3. My Redfoot's substrate is currently all 100% EcoEarth coconut fiber. When we finally finish the new enclosure we will mix EcoEarth coconut fiber substrate with ORGANIC top soil to better hold humidity.

Post another pic in better lighting when you can!

Alex and the Redfoot

Cyprus
As a sidenote: nothing is wrong with the fine grade bark substrate if it's a fir bark. In fact it's one of the best substrate options. But *pine* bark may contain oils and fumes cause irritation - it's a no-go.

ND135

Maryland
As a sidenote: nothing is wrong with the fine grade bark substrate if it's a fir bark. In fact it's one of the best substrate options. But *pine* bark may contain oils and fumes cause irritation - it's a no-go.
Thanks for that information. I was BLASTED on a different site for using bark but I dont recall which kind I used. I took it out and it made me sad because my tort LOVED it. So I gently mentioned the bark above to be safe. This is great to hear. Thakns!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Thanks for that information. I was BLASTED on a different site for using bark but I dont recall which kind I used. I took it out and it made me sad because my tort LOVED it. So I gently mentioned the bark above to be safe. This is great to hear. Thakns!
Don't pay any attention to other sites.
The tortoise forum is all that you'll need.
Orchid bark. Or that type of finer grade pure bark is great. But do not use soil/sand.
Outdoors, of course it's unavoidable. But in an indoor enclosure, we can be GOD. So just to be safe, no soil. Especially for smaller tortoises.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I believe that is indeed a Redfoot.
I see at least two things wrong just from that single photograph.
Please show us EVERYTHING you're using. And also the entire enclosure.
We're here to get you up and running. And after you're set up correctly, it'll be much easier.
Welcome to the forum

ND135

Maryland
Don't pay any attention to other sites.
The tortoise forum is all that you'll need.
Orchid bark. Or that type of finer grade pure bark is great. But do not use soil/sand.
Outdoors, of course it's unavoidable. But in an indoor enclosure, we can be GOD. So just to be safe, no soil. Especially for smaller tortoises.
Thanks!!!