Mexican box turtle day 1

BytTX

This turtle was a gift from a family friend. But I don't know much about him. He is from tamaulipas, and has nice yellow spot and a red face with beautiful red eyes any tips?

Don't worry the box is what I received him in, it's not a permanent home

20170120_165424.jpg

BILBO-03

Hi and Welcome!:) I've never heard of a Mexican box turtle do you know it's that or did your friends just tell you that ?

BytTX

No that's what it is lol I did some research on this turtle and it's not a turtle normally found in the US and it's illegal to import apparently

SarahChelonoidis

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Toronto, Canada
What a beauty. I've never seen the Mexicana subspecies before (if this is what this is? The region is right) and didn't know there were many out there. I assume the care for T. carolina mexicana is broadly similar to the care for the other T. carolina species (except they do not hibernate). I don't know if their natural habitat range is the forests-grasslands-marshes of the more northern subspecies so ideal enclosures may be different. Interesting.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

The Mexican box turtle is very similar-looking to the three-toed box turtle except is a bit smaller. It wouldn't surprise me to find out that you have a three-toe box turtle.

PJay

5 Year Member
Virginia
A three-toed box turtle has three toes on the back legs. How many does your turtle have?

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
Certainly looks triunguis to me. Here is a close up of a pure T. c. mexicana here at my place and also here is a poster we put out for sale this year showing some different box turtles of ours. You can see the differences between them including mexicana and triunguis.
ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485055011.846046.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1485055020.598081.jpg

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Fes, Morocco
Hello, and a very warm welcome to Tortoise Forum to you and your lovely Boxie.:)