Michelangelo the Leopard Tortoise

Dan James

Location (City and/or State)
Manchester UK
Hi everyone I'm Dan. Pound owner of Michelangelo (Mikey) apparently a leopard. Just got him from our local let shop and is my first time owning a tortoise so looking for lots of help and advice and anything you think we're gonna need to know to keep him (I assure him as we named him based on the fact he's a male) keep him safe, healthy and happy [emoji16]

Thanks and here is a few pics [emoji41][emoji41]FB_IMG_1507663533160.jpg20171010_182325.jpg20171010_182258.jpg20171010_182247.jpg20171010_182337.jpg20171010_170516.jpg20171010_170455.jpg

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
A very warm welcome to the forum, @Dan James .

Michelangelo is cute. Mind you, I do not think he's a leopard tort. Please give him daily soaks in warm water so as to avoid dehydration as well as pyramiding. And make sure that his enclosure is warm and humid enough.

@Tom
@JoesMum
@Yvonne G

please help. What species is Mikey? Thank you all, very much.

Last edited by a moderator:

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
Hello Dan and welcome to TFO to a fellow Brit. I'm in Kent.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tortoise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your tortoise is going to grow pretty large and cannot hibernate. It should be with you for the next 50 years or more, so getting early care correct is vital.

The concerns for me:

Your enclosure looks too dry: the humidity needs to be raised.

Those pet shop bowls are a tipping hazard - a piece of flat rock or slate makes a good food plate that helps keep the beak in shape with abrasion. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate makes a safe water dish.

You appear to have a compact UVB bulb (looks like a low energy lightbulb). These cause eye problems in tortoises. It should be replaced with a tube type UVB.

Your little tort must be kept warm 24/7, but needs complete darkness at night. I recommend using a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to keep the enclosure warm enough.

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Hello Dan and welcome to TFO to a fellow Brit. I'm in Kent.

I recommend you read the TFO care guides and compare them with your setup.

They're written by species experts working hard to correct the outdated information widely available on the internet and from pet stores and, sadly, from some breeders and vets too.

Beginner Mistakes
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

How to raise a healthy Leopard Tortoise
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/how-to-raise-a-healthy-sulcata-or-leopard-version-2-0.79895/

Your tortoise is going to grow pretty large and cannot hibernate. It should be with you for the next 50 years or more, so getting early care correct is vital.

The concerns for me:

Your enclosure looks too dry: the humidity needs to be raised.

Those pet shop bowls are a tipping hazard - a piece of flat rock or slate makes a good food plate that helps keep the beak in shape with abrasion. A terracotta plant saucer sunk into the substrate makes a safe water dish.

You appear to have a compact UVB bulb (looks like a low energy lightbulb). These cause eye problems in tortoises. It should be replaced with a tube type UVB.

Your little tort must be kept warm 24/7, but needs complete darkness at night. I recommend using a Ceramic Heat Emitter with a thermostat to keep the enclosure warm enough.
Many thanks your prompt reply as well as your help.

Dan James

Manchester UK
Hi all thanks for the replys so soon.... a lot to take in now but it's all good bedtime reading... So the UVB is a 13W reptile UBV 100 bulb... what bulb would you recommend can you link me also so should I get rid of the water and food bowls for slate? [emoji16]

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Glass tanks are wonderful for baby leopard tortoises. Do you see do you see how he is pyramiding already? that is because he has been kept too dry. He need to dump about half a gallon of water into the dirt to raise the humidity and get the dirt moist. The very top layer will be dry the underneath would be wet. read the care instructions that Tom above has attached to his post and you'll learn all about closed Chambers.

He's definitely a leopard tortoise he's just a lighter one will probably be a whiter leopard when he gets older like mine is. Mine started out that color.

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
So I'm putting water directly into the dirt in his tank?
Yes. Like potting soil. It'll soak it all up. Keep adding untilall dirt is moist. Ideally top layer after an hour or so will dry in the 80-degree temperatures but the lower amount of dirt will all be wet causing humidity. You want the humidity up around 65 - 70%while they're growing so that they don't pyramid. they'll grow smooth. Later all you have to do is add a cup of water to the corners every few days.

Very important:You do not want the temperature and the deepest darkest corner of his enclosure to get less than 80 degrees.

The temperature directly under his lamp about an inch from the floor would be 95 to 100. That's the Basking temperature. At night the light goes off and a ceramic heat emitter(che) goes on to keep the entire enclosure at 80 degrees....

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Of course there's a screen top on that isn't there? The whole humidity into the tank you would need to cover that with tin foil or plexiglass once you read the tips that Tom added to his post you'll understand about closed Chambers and how smooth a leopard tortoise grows in them. Basically would be a container that is sealed tight. It doesn't matter if it's sealed tight he has plenty of air in there and you would be opening it every day in order to feed him which exchanges the air. Contrary to all the old info out there you do not need circulating air inside his tank.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome. The reason some thought he wasn't a leopard is because he's so very, very dry. Baby tortoises in the wild hatch during the monsoon season, when it's very humid, with lots of weeds growing. And the babies stay hidden under bushes and scrub to avoid being eaten, and it's even wetter and more humid there. So, pour a pitcherful of water over your substrate and mix it up with your hand to get it all wet. Soak him in warm water daily. Give him a couple hiding places and a few plants to hide under. And read the stickies pinned at the top of the leopard section here.

Dan James

Manchester UK
Hi, and welcome. The reason some thought he wasn't a leopard is because he's so very, very dry. Baby tortoises in the wild hatch during the monsoon season, when it's very humid, with lots of weeds growing. And the babies stay hidden under bushes and scrub to avoid being eaten, and it's even wetter and more humid there. So, pour a pitcherful of water over your substrate and mix it up with your hand to get it all wet. Soak him in warm water daily. Give him a couple hiding places and a few plants to hide under. And read the stickies pinned at the top of the leopard section here.
Thanks... So I know it's hard to say without seeing him in person but is he ok? Healthy ? We have literally just got him from the pet shop today. Should I make his dirt even more wetter then it is. Like slutchy? I'm so confused with all the info

teresaf

5 Year Member
Port Charlotte, Florida
Not slushy. Think potting soil just watered. Top layer will be dryish. If eyes are clear and no white puffy eyelids and he's eating good then is doing good and will even be better when you learn everything there is to know about that species. For instance no lettuce there is no nutritional value in it. No romaine lettuce unless it's a treat. But greens are wonderful. if you can get ORIGINAL Mazuri most of them love it lightly soaked. NOT Mazuri LS. Most hate that. Babies don't usually like grass but you can gather some and cut it up fine and sprinkle it on top of the Mazuri.

N

no one

Hello and Welcome...
Happy to read all the good advice people are giving!! Please soak your lovely baby leopard in warm water for at least 20 minutes a day. And of course enjoy!!