Microchip?

DawnH

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Southeast Texas
It is my understanding you can microchip your tortoise. How do they do this? I mean, I know the basics but where? Tuleo (Sulcata) isn't quite 2 yet and I think of all the growing he has to do. Will this affect anything (will the chip shift and move from the current location therefor making it unreadable?)
I am trying to think of the most effective way to ensure he comes home if he (God forbid) gets out or is stolen and it appears that microchipping is it.
Also - there are different chips and trackers, is there one preferred over the other? If so, which one? It is my understanding a vet needs a certain tracker to read a certain chip (?)

DawnH

5 Year Member
Southeast Texas
Also, if you are against microchipping, what do YOU do instead?

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I just heard not too long ago, and can't remember from where, that they put the chip in a back leg. Not sure how true this is though. I havent had it done myself, but soon will be looking into it.
I think we might have a couple members that have either looked into it or has had it done. Hopefully they will see this thread. I don't beleive there is any real danger, nor do I think it moves. My dog is chipped and I don't remember any worries of it moving being said.