Mikey

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfnelson

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Okay, the plan for this weekend will be bo either cover the plexiglass so Mikey can't see out or replace it with wood. Replace the light bulb in the clamp light with a ceramic heat emitter and add a second clamp fixture with ceramic heater on the 'cool' end, replace UVB light with a regular florescent tube and use that as the only source of light, and maybe buy some calcium carbonate, although I'm using cuttlebone now and just scraping onto the food. I printed out Terry's diet recommendations and feeding schedule and posted it on the fridge.
Oh ya, buy some more high calcium greens.

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
-ryan- said:
You don't like the swarms of gnats? :) This is actually the first year we have had them, and they are very selective for one reason or another about which tortoises they harass. The redfoot gets most of them, but the russian breeding group is literally right next to him and they don't get any. Then I have a 3 y/o russian in a separate enclosure that doesn't get any gnats, yet the 1.5 month old gets a few. Tricky little bugs. I have little sticky tube things that I place around the enclosures and that helps, but it is an uphill battle. Maybe I just need more of them to attract the bugs out of the enclosures.

Place a wine bottle with about a quarter inch of wine left at the bottom next to your enclosure(s). It works wonders. It's a gnat magnet!

-ryan- said:
You don't like the swarms of gnats? :) This is actually the first year we have had them, and they are very selective for one reason or another about which tortoises they harass. The redfoot gets most of them, but the russian breeding group is literally right next to him and they don't get any. Then I have a 3 y/o russian in a separate enclosure that doesn't get any gnats, yet the 1.5 month old gets a few. Tricky little bugs. I have little sticky tube things that I place around the enclosures and that helps, but it is an uphill battle. Maybe I just need more of them to attract the bugs out of the enclosures.

Place a wine bottle with about a quarter inch of wine left at the bottom next to your enclosure(s). It works wonders. It's a gnat magnet!

halfnelson

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
maggie3fan said:
So why would you want to keep a tortoise who needs a specific type of care and then not want to give him that care? Just think about that
? and where exactly did I say that I did not want to give him 'that care'?

Status
Not open for further replies.