Gender confirmation

Ellen & Toby

Location (City and/or State)
Cheshire, UK
So I think it's time to try and sex Toby. I have had him/her for 4 years now and was told he/she was about a year old when I bought him/her. Toby has a straight carapace length of 8.5 inches (21.5cm) now so think we are big enough? Can anyone confirm gender please? Thanks in advance (p.s. we are sticking with the name Toby whether we are male or female so it doesn't matter to me) ;)IMG_20180905_174231.jpg IMG_20180905_174123.jpg IMG_20180905_174243.jpg IMG_20180905_174248.jpg IMG_20180905_174255.jpg

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
That's what I was thinking, the anal scute looks male but there are no other signs, maybe Toby was younger than I was told when I got him/her. I am at work at the moment but will try to get another picture when I get home, Toby rarely sticks he/his tail out so its not easy to get a picture but will do my best.

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Thanks TammyJ and Zeropilot! I do my best, she/he is a very happy little soul, curious and active. I have struggled with humidity in the past (hence some slight crevassing) but think we are sorted now thanks to some fabulous suggestions from this forum.

I'm still struggling to get that picture of his/her tail but will keep trying! ;)

Gillian M

5 Year Member
Jordan
Can't tell, sorry. Whether your tort is a male or female, sh/she is really is cute. God bless.

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Still very immature. I’m going to go for male. (Sorry Ed :D).
Anal scutes are widening and thickening.
Tail looks to be hung to right but I can’t see the tip.

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
@Anyfoot you say that the scl is throwing you and I have seen many other posts where at this size sex can be determined, do you think Toby is growing abnormally? As I said, I have had Toby for 4 years and he/she was about 3.5 inches SCL when I got him/her and approx. 1 year old (only approximate size as unfortunately I didn't start keeping records until about a year after I got him/her).
Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've just read your comment on another post that one of your Brazilians started to show gender characteristics at 7.5scl so now I'm wondering if I have got Toby's care wrong somewhere and would like to correct it if I have. :confused:

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
@Anyfoot you say that the scl is throwing you and I have seen many other posts where at this size sex can be determined, do you think Toby is growing abnormally? As I said, I have had Toby for 4 years and he/she was about 3.5 inches SCL when I got him/her and approx. 1 year old (only approximate size as unfortunately I didn't start keeping records until about a year after I got him/her).
Sorry if it's a stupid question but I've just read your comment on another post that one of your Brazilians started to show gender characteristics at 7.5scl so now I'm wondering if I have got Toby's care wrong somewhere and would like to correct it if I have. :confused:
No, yours is growing good. S/he’s looks really good. I’ll get a photo of mine and show you. It’s easy to see he was not cared for correctly.

Can I see a better photo of the tail please. ?

Ellen & Toby

Cheshire, UK
Thanks @Anyfoot that's good to know. Toby is refusing to show me his/her tail, I've been trying to get a picture for days after his/her soak... is there a way I can coax him/her to stick it out without hurting him/her?