Minimum temps during brumation

Tolis

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Cyprus EU
Tonight will be the coldest night since a long, long time for my area, it will drop to zero celcius / 32 Fahrenheit. Normally the coldest it gets during winter is 5 celsius/ 41F never where water freezes. I got some baby greeks that brumate for the first time and I was wondering what temp is too low they could freeze to death?
Tonight it would be warmer to keep them in the fridge ...

DoubleD1996!

Memphis
Tonight will be the coldest night since a long, long time for my area, it will drop to zero celcius / 32 Fahrenheit. Normally the coldest it gets during winter is 5 celsius/ 41F never where water freezes. I got some baby greeks that brumate for the first time and I was wondering what temp is too low they could freeze to death?
The best, and safest thing to do when brumating a turtle or tort is to just leave them alone if they're a cold tolerant species. I don't know if you're keeping them outside or not, but that's how I keep my turtles and torts. We've gotten into the teens a few times and I leave them be in their shelters and under their leaf piles. When it gets colder, they naturally dig deeper, when it warms, they rise to the surface. When we get an odd day in the mid 50's I peak in on them and see them sometimes. They'll be fine, you just have to commit. I know it's nerve wrecking, but do what makes you comfortable.

Attachments

• 20220116_122314.jpg
    20220116_122314.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220106_115406.jpg
    20220106_115406.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 7
  • 20220106_115351.jpg
    20220106_115351.jpg
    2.3 MB · Views: 5
  • 20220116_122700.jpg
    20220116_122700.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 8

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
It is not safe to brumate them outside. That is how they die, and then those people get on the internet and explain how risky and dangerous brumation is. There is too much weather and temperature fluctuation in most of the world, and too many hazards and problems outdoors. Brumate the babies indoors under controlled conditions, and you won't have this problem.

To answer your question of how cold is too cold: It depends on the ground temps in your area, how deep they are dug in, and what you have over them, to name just a few of the many variables. I prefer to eliminate those variable and brumate them in a fridge where I carefully set, monitor, and adjust the temperature if needed. I do greeks at around 40-45F.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
My desert tortoise is kind of brumating at 72 - 76 F
That is not brumation. That is too cold to function and too warm to brumate. This is not good. Either put in a basking lamp so the tort can get up to operating temperatures, or spend some time emptying the gut and then cool the tortoise to the correct brumation temps.

CharSparda

Mexico City
That is not brumation. That is too cold to function and too warm to brumate. This is not good. Either put in a basking lamp so the tort can get up to operating temperatures, or spend some time emptying the gut and then cool the tortoise to the correct brumation temps.

He already has a basking lamp, should I place a second one?