Missing box turtle

kobobird

Location (City and/or State)
Kentucky
I woke up this morning and found my eastern box turtle missing. I have just gotten him yesterday and he was spending the night in the Russian tortoise pen (the Russians came inside for the night) and early this morning he was walking around the pen looking for some worms I guess and by 8am he was gone. I was only able to search for 10 minutes before having to run to the school bus. He’s captive bred and I’m not sure how long he’ll make it. He has no fear of dogs and that’s my biggest worry right now. Is there anything I can do to lure him back or am just gonna have to search every inch of the yard and surrounding creek/woods? I’m very heartbroken and any suggestions are welcomed. Also I’m pretty sure he’s gone because we haven’t had rain in a week or so and the ground is very dry and hard so he would’ve made a noticeable spot where buried down. All suggestions are welcomed!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
He's not coming back. Box turtles have a very strong homing instinct. He's going to be moving in the direction of where he thinks he'll find his previous territory.

As you've now found out, box turtles are very good climbers. You have to have a horizontal board topping any fence if you want to contain him

Make fliers and put them up on the utility poles in your neighborhood. Advertise on craigslist.com and on nextdoor.com. Knock on every single one of your neighbors' doors and let them know about your missing turtle, because chances are very good one of them picked him up as he was walking by their house.

kobobird

Kentucky
He's not coming back. Box turtles have a very strong homing instinct. He's going to be moving in the direction of where he thinks he'll find his previous territory.

As you've now found out, box turtles are very good climbers. You have to have a horizontal board topping any fence if you want to contain him

Make fliers and put them up on the utility poles in your neighborhood. Advertise on craigslist.com and on nextdoor.com. Knock on every single one of your neighbors' doors and let them know about your missing turtle, because chances are very good one of them picked him up as he was walking by their house.

Will do thank you! I’m hopeful someone picked him up already

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
Gluck I hope you find your tort

Last edited:

kobobird

Kentucky
No luck today. I’m gonna wake up early tomorrow and look for him again. I left some carrots and strawberries out for him. Hopefully he’ll snack on them tomorrow morning if he’s still near

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Sorry to hear this. Box turtles seem to be escape artist and they love to dig. Make sure you dig down a little and make sure hes not burrowed down

Kyle