Missing tortoise.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Islandsaints

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Knotts Island
jboyen said:
Great news... After missing for 4 weeks our Sulcata has been found!! One street up!!! They posted signs but we never saw them. We posted signs but someone kept taking them down. The bad news was the people who found it were planning to keep it since no one responded, so they engraved it!!!???? As new Sulcata owners should we do this to the others?? Is there an easy and safe way to tag them with info in case they ever get out again?

By engrave do you mean they carved into his shell? No way, never do this! But, what I did was get dog tags from Foster and Smith and I put them on (not on any growth lines) with aquarium silicone.

Tracy

jboyen

5 Year Member
Actually they didn't engrave (he said he engraved it). He just wrote on the underside of his shell with permanent marker their phone number. Any suggestions to remove it? Nail polish remover works but would the be harmful to the shell?

jason g.

5 Year Member
If it was my tort I would let it wear off out of fear more chemicals might harm them or there shell. But someone more educated may have some more sound advice.

Linzbragg

5 Year Member
Hi Jen! If you're a beginner like I was before I joined this forum, you will get a lot of help here. The vitamins you need are a calcium supplement (there are powdered ones you can get and put in on their food but I like to just give mine cuttlebone, like for birds and take the hard shell back off them) and also a multivitamin. Heptavite is a good brand. In the pic you put up, it looks like the tort is pyramiding (metabolic bone disease). Soaking them a few times a week in bath of warm water (90+) and adding calcium to their diet will help alleviate the pyramiding over time. I also adopted a tort, much smaller than yours, that had slight pyramiding, and those 2 steps have really helped his shell to smooth out. Hopefully your tort is hiding somewhere in your yard. It sounds like there's a lot of places for him to hide, and they do move fast! Mine is 9 inches, and he disappears the second I turn my back in our yard. Let us know as soon as you find him!

Ok so I didn't read all the other posts before I replied, so I'm glad you found him! But still, there's the answer to your Q about vitamins!!:)

jboyen

5 Year Member
Thanks so much everyone!! Your well wishes and advice has been great!! We are gonna get some cuttlebones and already did the warm bath for the pyramiding. Unfortunately we adopted the 4 and don't know much about their previous care. We've had them for 3 almost 4 weeks and are trying to make up for their lack of previous care.

Status
Not open for further replies.