Missing Tort

Status
Not open for further replies.

theprincessandpeter

5 Year Member
My russian tortoise Peter went missing on June 9th and is still missing. He was in our front yard and we turned our backs for 10 minutes and we still cannot find him. Any ideas on how I might go about looking for/finding my russian tortoise? We have searched the front yard and notified neighbors along with searching their yard. We have also handed out flyers.

Attachments

• IMG_7081.JPG
    IMG_7081.JPG
    222.6 KB · Views: 63

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Aw, that's too bad. He's a nice-looking Russian.

You can place an ad in the paper - Lost & Found. Lots of folks read that column. But chances are he's been kidnapped. When people find a dog or a cat they think, "Hm, I wonder who this belongs to?" But when they find a turtle or a tortoise they think, "Oh wow! A tortoise. Let's put him in the back yard!"

Little Russian tortoises move pretty quickly. If he wasn't found by a neighbor, he's motated quite a ways by now.

Sorry to welcome under such sad circumstances, but...

WELCOME to the forum!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Well, there's always hope! (But I really doubt he's still around)

theprincessandpeter

5 Year Member
Hmm well he always moved in the left direction in the yard by the back fence and there is a hole by the gate so maybe he is hiding back there. I still have to navigate through all of the weeds back there so.

Annieski

5 Year Member
Edison, N.J.
I noticed the raddicchio in the picture-- is that his favorite? Perhaps if you did something like a crumb trail--starting from the furthest point in the yard and moving toward a "Safe" place-- he might find his way back if he's still around. Just a thought.

jenfr81

5 Year Member
I just happened to be reading online about tortoises because I found a male tortoise along the road on Wednesday. I already have two tortoises, so I didn't think anything about taking another one home. I wasn't sure if he was lost or someone just let him go. Now I know all tortoises look similar, but the one I found looks alot like Peter. Where are you from? Anywhere in Illinois?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
How cool would that be if the tortoise you found was Peter!!
I live in IL btw :)

APBT_Fanatic

5 Year Member
Southern California
If Jenfr81 doesn't have your tortoise, and if you really want to find him/get him back, offer a reward for his safe return. Not sure how much you would put it for, but if it were one of my tortoises, I would offer a couple hundred dollars.-- This way it actually benefits the person who finds him to actually return him, and just not keep him. If the reward is only $50 or so, they will be more interested in keeping him, since I am sure they are more expensive than that at the pet store.

Good luck!

fishtanker

5 Year Member
My experience is that russians will always keep close to edges... Edges of buildings, logs, fences etc. If he did make a run out of the yard check the edges of your neighbors houses, fences and anything else. I had 10 of mine dig out on my large lot, their path was totally predictable. I was a little surprised how far one made it, about 125 feet away in an afternoon.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I would place his favorite food out in several spots in the yard and check on it a couple times a day I know when one of mine made an escape he took off like a bullet.

theprincessandpeter

5 Year Member
WE FOUND HIM HE WAS SEVEN HOUSES AWAY BY A FENCE! We were lucky enough that when one of our neighbors gave him to our other neighbor, that neighbor brought him to us after seeing our flyer! He was gone for about a month and survived severe rain storm. We took him to the vet and he is 100% okay:D thank you all for the time you took to respond. And we now have 4 russians. I live in northern Indiana by the way.

S

Scooter

Congrats! I am so glad you were able to be reunited with him again! :D

Status
Not open for further replies.