LOST - Hermann Tortoise

MillyCG

Location (City and/or State)
North Bergen
My son's Hermann tortoise went missing on Sunday at around 7:00pm. He was in the front yard when my son stepped away for a few minutes looking at the flowers in the yard and when he turned around the tortoise was gone. We have looked everywhere, raked leaves, put out lettuce and water, walked around at different times all day on Monday and yesterday. We made flyers and gave them to the neighbors. Our house is in a wooded area with a lake in the back. The tortoise is 1.5 years old. Any suggestions?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
My only suggestion is to check that entire area... check under rocks, in pivots.... anywhere that they can blend in. I hope to god it did not fall into the water.

MillyCG

North Bergen
My only suggestion is to check that entire area... check under rocks, in pivots.... anywhere that they can blend in. I hope to god it did not fall into the water.
Thanks, that is what we have been doing...even pulled out piping in front yard. The lake is on the back and away from where he was but he could have gone in that direction...do they usually? I have heard conflicting comments on this.

TaylorTortoise

Abington
Thanks, that is what we have been doing...even pulled out piping in front yard. The lake is on the back and away from where he was but he could have gone in that direction...do they usually? I have heard conflicting comments on this.
It's hard to say..... He could have possibly fell in but lets not think that. Im sure he is probably borrowed somewhere outdoors. Maybe have a dog come out and search for it if possible. They have a good sense of smell and direction.

MillyCG

North Bergen
It's hard to say..... He could have possibly fell in but lets not think that. Im sure he is probably borrowed somewhere outdoors. Maybe have a dog come out and search for it if possible. They have a good sense of smell and direction.
How do I go about having a dog come out and look for him? I have heard of companies but I can't seem to find any.

MillyCG

North Bergen
Also, any idea what the best search radius is? Do they keep on walking or get comfortable and don't move again? Or return to areas they have burrowed etc.?

TaylorTortoise

Abington
How do I go about having a dog come out and look for him? I have heard of companies but I can't seem to find any.
I would get a dog to sniff the yard. Maybe smell something from the cage then take the pup outside where it got lost to possibly track its smell.