froghaven5

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
New Jersey
Rare Tortoise Missing from Zoo

http://www.comcast.net/articles/news-odd/20110329/US.ODD.Missing.Tortoise/

Rare tortoise missing from Colorado Springs zoo
4 hours ago

COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. — A rare tortoise has disappeared from the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo in Colorado Springs and authorities think he may have been stolen.

Zookeepers say they last saw 13-year-old Butti (BOO'-tee) on Monday afternoon in The Loft, a hands-on exhibit where visitors can handle Butti and his brother Tutti.

Officials say someone might have walked off with the Indian Star tortoise — he's the size of a grapefruit and weighs about a pound.

The Colorado Springs Gazette reported Tuesday that zookeepers are most concerned about Butti's health because he requires a special diet of certain vegetables.

Indian Star tortoises typically live 10 to 15 years.

Butti has a history of upper respiratory infections. Without his caretakers, he might develop gastrointestinal problems, osteoporosis or kidney failure.

jeffbens0n

5 Year Member
Glenmoore, PA
They live approximately 10-15 years? They should be living a little longer than that!!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
RE: Rare Tortoise Missing from Zoo

Is that true: they only live 10 to 15 years?

And a special veggie diet?

Ya know...if you're going to have a hand's on exhibit of animals small enough to fit in a pocket or in a jacket, then you'd better have enough docents on hand to keep an eagle eye on the exhibit.

Either that, or frisk everyone who leaves. :p

S

Scooter

Yvonne, I agree. Why would you have an animal like that in a hands on exhibit without someone there to watch it at all times?

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
RE: Rare Tortoise Missing from Zoo

emysemys said:
And a special veggie diet?

I'm wondering if that's one of those things they say to encourage the thief to return it...like if your dog is missing you write on the posters that they need special medication :p
Unless they really do need a special diet, I don't know anything about them :p

I can't believe someone was able to just walk off with the tort!

exoticsdr

5 Year Member
Today is my birthday!
Southeast Texas
Is it a shame that they didn't have enough people watching the animals and keeping them safe from thieves? maybe

Is it a shame that society has been so degraded that we HAVE to watch animals at the zoo from being stolen.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ChiKat

10 Year Member!
FL
exoticsdr said:
Is it a shame that they didn't have enough people watching the animals and keeping them safe from thieves? maybe

Is it a shame that society has been so degraded that we HAVE to watch animals at the zoo from being stolen.....YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So true.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
10 to 15 years isn't very long. It is horrible that people, in general, can't be trusted. :(

RV's mom

10 Year Member!
Phoenix, arizona
it's a shame to have an exhibit that is not monitored better - that someone can actually walk away with one of the torts. I hope he comes home safely.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
exoticsdr said:

I second that sentiment doc, it is sad we have to have people guarding stuff to prevent theft. Sad

I may joke about wanting to "steal" a galpap or aldab from the zoo, but I would never do it.

DocNezzy

5 Year Member
"Steal a galpap or aldab". That would be an interesting attempt. I don't have pockets that big! LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.