Mites, Itching Tortoises.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
ct
Hi I have two readfoots and I think they have mites. The mites are very tiny, the size of the dot in this i, and move fairly quick. They are a tannish white and have two antennas that they wiggle back and forth as they go. They also have two back legs that splay out behind them as they walk. They do not jump or fly. I'm not sure the amount of legs in between, my eyes a good but not that good XD I heard they could be from the Reptile Bark substrate that I am using and harmless, so I was unconcerned until I saw my tortoise itching itself against the side of a potted plant pot. I've seen them both itch now and more then once.

So if they are harmless springtails/wood mites, etc. could they still be causing my torts to itch?

SnakeyeZ

5 Year Member
Winnipeg, Manitoba
Potted plants and alot of the reptile barks mulchs can come in with wood or grain mites. I have seen this with many potted plants I have put in my reptile enclosures. They are essentially harmless to your reptile but I got rid of them anyway. I bake everything I put into my enclosures in the oven now to kill off any unwanted pests.

LeroyLeft

5 Year Member
ct
How long do you bake it and at what temp?
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.