Mites?

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Massachusetts
I have a male hermanns tortoise, and I just was doing some spot cleaning in his tank (a 50g Rubbermaid). The substrate is reptibark and coconut fiber. Its 80 degrees and humidity is low. Everything seemed normal until I picked up his water dish and underneath there were a bunch of insects… They were round and white/grey so I’m guessing they were mites. I removed all of the substrate that I saw them on, but I have to assume that I may have missed a few or missed some eggs, so I don’t want to just leave it. Is it weird that they were only located under the water dish? Do you think that means theyre wood mites? I haven’t seen any on his body. I have an exercise pen for him that he’s in now until I figure out what to do, but its 9PM so any petstores in the area are closed. Should I make him sleep in the exercise pen tonight instead of putting him back in his house? I have no idea what to do. Please help. :(

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Put the substrate in the oven. I hear that will kill lil bugs or freeze it

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Don't worry, we all or most get them or have had them. They aren't mites, but I can't remember what they are called. You will keep getting them, most likely. I did. What helps to keep them away longer, is to boil or bake the substrate before using. Once you see them again, you can repeat the baking or boiling. Seeing you really don't want bugs in the oven, I would put substrate in a bucket, pour boiling water over it, let it sit for a bit, drain water off, then bake it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Oh, no, I didn't say that. Your tort is safe, not you. They will get you in your sleep:p :D. Sorry, just had to do that:D. :)
In my experience with those bugs, they do not leave the enclosure. My leopards enclosure floor, was the floor of the room, with coconut coir on that. That room butted up against a floor of carpet. I never, ever had any of those bugs any place except his enclosure.
You can get some pill bugs, (roly poly's) and place them in the enclosure and they will not hurt your tort, but will eat those little bugs. Or bake or boil it.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
If it is still fairly warm where you are you can find them like Heather said, under rocks or logs, etc. Otherwise you can find them on line do a google search. They are named under sow bugs, pill bugs and roly polies.

Xabyr

5 Year Member
Massachusetts
Yeah, I know they live around here, but its been getting down to 25F outside some days, so Im doubting that Ill find any. I can look online.

mtdavis254817

10 Year Member!
Re: RE: Mites?

wellington said:
Oh, no, I didn't say that. Your tort is safe, not you. They will get you in your sleep:p :D. Sorry, just had to do that:D. :)
In my experience with those bugs, they do not leave the enclosure. My leopards enclosure floor, was the floor of the room, with coconut coir on that. That room butted up against a floor of carpet. I never, ever had any of those bugs any place except his enclosure.
You can get some pill bugs, (roly poly's) and place them in the enclosure and they will not hurt your tort, but will eat those little bugs. Or bake or boil it.

Lol. You sound like me scaring my kids:p