Mixing species

Tidgy's Dad

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Fes, Morocco
Okay, so the two different species haven't annihilated each other on this occasion due to disease, violence or whatever.
But can you say they're better off together?
Or would they be better separated?
Other than space what possible reason is there to house two species together?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thanks for the replies guys. I’m just curious. I watch “kamp kenan” on you tube and he keeps some black mountain tortoises and elongateds together. I know it depends on the species general personality. You also see people with Galapagos and Aldabra torts with each other. I’m not saying keeping something like an eastern box with a red foot.

And for prey animals torts do warm up to humans. I’m thinking mainly because they’re food obsessed and associate you with it.

I keep telling people that Kenan is not the guy to take advice from. Just because he played Russian Roulette and lived to tell about it, doesn't mean you should play, or that it is a good game to recommend.

And Galops should NEVER be housed with Aldabras. One species is shy and submissive while the other is aggressive and combative. They are NOT compatible.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Remember the story : about the man at the circus, he puts his head in the lions mouth ! But I don’t !!!

Anyfoot

5 Year Member
UK Sheffield
Where in a zoo in Lanzarote. I'm not sure of all the species type in my video. Obviously some leopards. I thought this was a good example of not mixing species.
I'll let you guys tell us what species are in here, and pick out all the domination that's going on. Not sure if you can see in the video but the bully started nipping the Leo's beak up against the wall

JoesMum

10 Year Member!
Kent, South East England
There’s a small male with big hormones going on there! He challenges anything.

And then there’s one sitting in the food dish stopping others from being there

And an attempt by another to shove the bigger animal out of the food dish.

Quite a stressful environment! Good video @Anyfoot