Mold growth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
Once again, I am dealing with mold in my enclosure. I just converted to a closed chamber cage, and am getting mold on the side that usually doesn't have a light on. I have since changed the red light to a CHE. The left side keeps having mold grow in the corner. Nothing on the right side. Should I put a small fan to circulate air? Not sure why its happening and why it's only only one side. The would is sealed. I know Tom said he uses untreated plywood for his enclosures and he doesn't have any problems so I'm wondering why I keep running into mold.

ImageUploadedByTortoiseForum1367125984.176744.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

sibi

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Florida, USA
Mold happens when cold meets with humidity. Mold also grows if not completely removed. Don't use bleach to Remove mold. Clean the surface with a mix of tea tree oil and water. That would remove the mold, but now you have to make sure that the area stays warm and humid. Remember, cold and humid causes mold and your tort to get sick. Warm and humid is what you need to maintain at all times. If your enclosure is not being used and you allow it to get cold because your tort is not in it, you will grow mold again. The side that doesn't have the light on will get cold because the light isn't keeping it hot anymore. The humidity is high, thus causing the conditions for mold growth.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I have my thermostat on that side since I know it would be cooler. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up my thermostat since it only hooks to one outlet. Currently it's on the white bulb, and the CHE is on 24/7. The basking kicks in every few hours for only a few mins to increase the temp. I may just add a second low watt CHE. What should I do about light. I don't want it completely dark in there >.>

I am going to scrub the mold really well tomorrow and let the cage dry out while my tort is outside tomoro, and position the thermostat probe on the corner where the mold is happening.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Are you using a red light on the cooler side? If you use a regular bulb, say 100w, that would keep that side very warm and won't allow mold to grow.

I need to understand your closed chamber a bit.why do you have two sides divided? As I understood the closed chamber setup, so long as you have a humid hide for your tort, and the temp is a constant 80 degrees with the exception of the basking area, I don't understand why you have two separate sections.
theelectraco said:
I have my thermostat on that side since I know it would be cooler. I'm trying to figure out how to hook up my thermostat since it only hooks to one outlet. Currently it's on the white bulb, and the CHE is on 24/7. The basking kicks in every few hours for only a few mins to increase the temp. I may just add a second low watt CHE. What should I do about light. I don't want it completely dark in there >.>

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'm using the regular white basking bulb but I think il switch it out and use the CHE and a 50w red basking bulb. The tank isn't divided, its just the door that makes it look that way. Do you have no light in your cage at night for your torts?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
In Little Ricky's enclosure, I have my CHE on a thermostat and the light on a timer. I've enclosed a picture of my set up. My background temp is never below 80 degrees F. Your light should be on 10-12 hours to mimic the real world, with full darkness at night. Not red light, not blue light, not black light, but no light.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
I have absolutely no light in any of my enclosures. My torts can't completely sleep with any light, red or black. Torts don't need a y lights at bedtime. Just heat.
theelectraco said:
I'm using the regular white basking bulb but I think il switch it out and use the CHE and a 50w red basking bulb. The tank isn't divided, its just the door that makes it look that way. Do you have no light in your cage at night for your torts?

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'll have to pickup a time at Home Depot tomorrow. Where do you have you guys place your thermostat probes?

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
My probe is in the humid hide box. This is where he spends the night so I want to ensure the temp is maintained.

theelectraco

5 Year Member
I'll move mine back there. I've moved it 4 different times already. My second heat source never really turned on when I had it in there because the CHE was always on but if I get the bulb on a timer and the CHE on the thermostat I think it will finally solve my problem.

Cowboy_Ken

10 Year Member!
Kingman, Arizona
Good luck! And I hope it all works out. Ask questions, if I can't answer I know golfs who can.

Status
Not open for further replies.