Moldy substrate

incognet

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
We recently had a fungal issue in both chelonian habitats...

A small fruit body (Pleurotus genus?) appeared on substrate in Olive's enclosure. I believe that it spread from a potted sedge (with drainage hole), but we are not 100% certain.

Another fruit body (nondescript white parasol) appeared at roughly the same time in Sunny's enclosure. Its mycelium was more extensive, and seems to originate from a potted geranium.

This has never happened before, even when Sunny had a reptile fogger. I've since removed the contaminated substrate from both enclosures, and water plants/coir less frequently. I also sprayed problem areas with a hydrogen peroxide solution.

Is there a tortoise-safe fungicide? My brother suggested Benefect Botanical Decon 30 (with thymol), but I'm reluctant to use anything in a closed chamber. According to the Tortoise Table plant database, "...very high doses of oil distilled from Oregano plants can cause a build-up of toxic quantities of thymol in the kidneys and liver, but it would be almost impossible for a tortoise to eat sufficient quantities of the plant to experience this toxicity."

Attachments

• 20240921_213257.jpg
    20240921_213257.jpg
    993.8 KB · Views: 1
  • 20240921_213328.jpg
    20240921_213328.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 1