Monday May 23, 2011 is World Turtle Day!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
The Republic O' Tejas
World Turtle Day

Monday May 23, 2011

Notes:
Turtles are one of the most endearing and symbolic of America's native wildlife. Turtles not only fascinate each passing generation of children, who find endless wonders under those hard shells, but they also continue to serve as a timeless role model in children's literature: the slow and steady turtle, whose patient progress always wins out against his fast but feckless competitor.

Yet the turtles' lofty status hasn't prevented humans from abusing the creature. In fact, all land, freshwater, and sea turtles are facing imminent threats to their survival, simply because of human activities. Turtles are the reptile most affected by the pet trade, not to mention the food and traditional medicine industries. Many turtle species also suffer from the effects of pollution as well as from the destructive effects of industrial fishing operations.

Despite these hardships, May is a busy month for turtles. Many have recently emerged from winter hibernation and are beginning their search for mates and nesting areas. For this reason, May 23 was designated World Turtle Day.

More at:

http://www.hsus.org/wildlife/a_clos...and_tortoises/celebrate_world_turtle_day.html

Enjoy...and let's hear your favorite World Turtle Day carols, too! :p

Isa

10 Year Member!
Montreal, QC, Canada
Thanks for the reminder, I was about to forget... I think it is so nice that there is a World Turtle Day :) Happy World Turtle Day everyone (for tomorrow :D)

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
To the tune of "Joy To The World"...

May 23rd
Is World Turtle Day
Is that just cool or what?
Our turtles fill our lives with joy
'Tho we can't tell the girls from the boys
They all kinda look the same
So we give androgynous names
And our families look at us weird
But we don't care!

May 23rd
Is World Turtle Day
They've come out of their holes!
They're searching for to celebrate
And, hopefully, a willing mate
They'll bask in the morning sun
And eat weeds to fill their tums
Then take their naps beneath the hedge
Until about 4pm

May 23rd
Is World Turtle Day
We celebrate our pets
They give to us great tort-tales to share
And dandelions would be everywhere
These reptiles that live in domes
We're glad we brought them home
So cherish our shelled warriors
It's World Turtle Day!

:tort: :p :tort: :p :tort:

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
All I can say is, "Wow!" You came up with that pretty fast.

I got a phone call from someone asking me if I knew where the turtle races were being held today. I had to tell him I was sorry to say that his phone call was the first I was hearing about turtle races. Wish I woulda' known. Might have been interesting.

Terry Allan Hall

5 Year Member
The Republic O' Tejas
emysemys said:
All I can say is, "Wow!" You came up with that pretty fast.

Pretty much how I earn my living... :p

I got a phone call from someone asking me if I knew where the turtle races were being held today. I had to tell him I was sorry to say that his phone call was the first I was hearing about turtle races. Wish I woulda' known. Might have been interesting.

Herpetological society I used to belong to had monthly turtle/tortoise races...a surprising amout of $$$ changed hands sometimes...

Status
Not open for further replies.