More Myrtle Questions

I recently purchased a sulcata hatchling, she's about 3 weeks old now. She seems very well adjusted- she's very active, not shy at all, she's getting daily soaks and about 4 hours of outside time everyday. Humidity stays around 82% and temp 90 It took her a few days to start eating, but she did start eating. However, she really doesn't eat all that much whereas my larger tort, Dudley, spends his entire day grazing. Should this be cause for concern or is it normal seeing as Myrtle is just a baby?ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499578225.379710.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499578255.466141.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499578255.466141.jpg

Kasia

Location (City and/or State)
Poland
Hi, How much is not that much? Like a palm size portion or she just takes few nibbles and that is all? Also what do you feed her? A pic of her enclosure would be helpful as well:)

Hi, How much is not that much? Like a palm size portion or she just takes few nibbles and that is all? Also what do you feed her? A pic of her enclosure would be helpful as well:)

ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499657212.651950.jpg

Here is the enclosure, I planted grass a while back and plan to throw in more seeds once in a while to replenish what gets eaten or dies off. She has gained half an ounce since I got her, so she must be eating... but I don't think she eats a palm size portion. I am feeding her grass- I just got mazuri today, I thought I'd try that. She just seems to take a bite or two and then become uninterested.

Kasia

Poland
I would try different weeds to go with that grass, maybe she needs more variety or just isn't use to grass (breeder feed her other things). She biting on her arm is scratching tortie style :) how often does she do that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
A see a few things:
1. 4 hours a day outside is way too much for a 3 week old. I'd cut that down to 30-60 minutes.
2. Where did you get the tortoise and what did the breeder feed it? How was it started? Wet routine or dry routine?
3. What food are you offering that is not interesting to the tortoise?
4. The arm biting thing could be an insect sting or bite from all the outside time.
5. You said the temp is 90. I'm taking that to mean that its 90 all over. I've tried this (All one temp.) and it doesn't work well for sulcatas. They seem to need a gradient with the low 80-85 and the warm side 95-85. Basking area around 100.
6. I don't know how long you've had her, but id she's three weeks old, I wouldn't think you've had her more than a week. 14 grams (0.5 oz.) in a week is decent weight gain, unless that is just water weight that she took on because of being in overly dry conditions before you got her.

A see a few things:
1. 4 hours a day outside is way too much for a 3 week old. I'd cut that down to 30-60 minutes.
2. Where did you get the tortoise and what did the breeder feed it? How was it started? Wet routine or dry routine?
3. What food are you offering that is not interesting to the tortoise?
4. The arm biting thing could be an insect sting or bite from all the outside time.
5. You said the temp is 90. I'm taking that to mean that its 90 all over. I've tried this (All one temp.) and it doesn't work well for sulcatas. They seem to need a gradient with the low 80-85 and the warm side 95-85. Basking area around 100.
6. I don't know how long you've had her, but id she's three weeks old, I wouldn't think you've had her more than a week. 14 grams (0.5 oz.) in a week is decent weight gain, unless that is just water weight that she took on because of being in overly dry conditions before you got her.

Ok, I will cut down time outside & adjust temps. The breeder started her dry with daily soakings & fed grass, leafy greens, and mazuri. I've offered her grass, a few types of leafy greens and hibiscus flowers. She was more interested in the flowers I'm guessing because of the color. But she just will not eat that much of the grass- a few bites & then she's done.

Is it possible that it's just not easy enough for her to eat it? It's takes her a little bit to bite a chunk small enough for her to eat. Do you think it might help if I chop it up?
With Dudley, he didn't eat grass so I had to chop everything up and add grass in so he couldn't pick around it.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Is it possible that it's just not easy enough for her to eat it? It's takes her a little bit to bite a chunk small enough for her to eat. Do you think it might help if I chop it up?
With Dudley, he didn't eat grass so I had to chop everything up and add grass in so he couldn't pick around it.

I only feed freshly sprouted tender young grass to babies. And I chop it up for them too. The plots of wheat grass from grocery stores or pet stores work great for this purpose, if you don't have tender young grass sprouting somewhere at home.

You can also mix in soaked blended up grass hay, or soaked ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow to meet the grass needs. Or you can skip it and not worry too much about it until the tortoise is a little older and bigger.

I only feed freshly sprouted tender young grass to babies. And I chop it up for them too. The plots of wheat grass from grocery stores or pet stores work great for this purpose, if you don't have tender young grass sprouting somewhere at home.

You can also mix in soaked blended up grass hay, or soaked ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Chow to meet the grass needs. Or you can skip it and not worry too much about it until the tortoise is a little older and bigger.

Update: I emulsified some grass & Myrtle is eating like a champ! ImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499796411.611222.jpgImageUploadedByTortoise Forum1499796429.417666.jpg